410 or 115 Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by CriminalCypress, Dec 15, 2012.

1. CriminalCypress

CriminalCypress

My parents got me an Ampeg PF350 today for christmas, but they didn't realize I'd need a cab to go with it, haha. But this also gives me the opportunity to choose my own cab, and I was looking at some used ones at my local GC.

An Ampeg SVT15EN 1x15 and a Fender Rumble 410. I only got to try each of them out for a second, and I couldn't really get much a difference by ear out of them. They were around the same price so money isn't much of an issue here.

So bas(s)ically I just need some advice on which would go better with my head or whichever one's just a better cab in general. Thanks.

2. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Of those two, I'd go with the 115 easy :)

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

yeah, the rumble is cute and all, but at 4Ω you'd be stuck with only being able to use it by itself.

an 8Ω 4x10 will be almost as loud (maybe as loud or even louder if it has more efficient speakers), and will allow for using a second one, which will blow away the single cab.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bass dan

bass dan Supporting Member

I have the Ampeg cab. Really good sounding for my taste. Blues, bluegrass, classic rock stuff. I have no experience with the Fender cab. One thing to consider is how your going to use it. If you need lots of volume go with the 4x10. The 115 gets pretty loud but no doubt the 4x10 will have more volume.

I have 2 of the 15's and can get loud as hell with only a couple hundred watts. If your going to be jamming with musicians that play at reasonable levels go with the Ampeg. I had a pf500 and it sounded great with that head. IMO.

7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Me too and I haven't heard either.

4x10 should be louder but they have lousy dispersion, not that 15's are that great either.

8. carl h.

carl h.

Go for the Ampeg - no decision at all, only 1 correct choice here. Those Fender 410 cabs seem too lightweight to survive for long as a gig rig. They sound nice at lower levels, but I'm scared to turn one up very loud.

(I work at a store that sells Fender - and I spent my money on Ampeg)

9. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Yea, isn't the Rumble stuff the budget line for Fender? If so, don't waste your money on that.

10. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    Though I'm not really a huge Ampeg fan, I'd still take that particular cab over a Rumble

11. CriminalCypress

CriminalCypress

So some pretty straightforward comments, mostly everyone telling me to get the ampeg. The 410 is more visually pleasing to me, haha, but I'll definitely not base my decision on that.

I'm in a band that has absolutely no gigging potential as of yet, but we practice from time to time. I'm currently using a real old Peavey TKO75 that is fine for practicing, the tone just really sucks. My main bass is an ATK300, if that makes a difference.

12. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    There are some 410 cabs people love, but don't forget they're not all the same :)

The Fender Pro cabs are pretty darn good. In fact, I'd take an Fender 810 Pro over most/all Ampeg 810's (in fact, I used to have three 810 Pros), but the Fender Rumble stuff is kinda entry level gear...just not as good, IMO

13. CriminalCypress

CriminalCypress

I'm pretty new to stacks in general, so I'm not too sure of the difference anyway. I wasn't too aware that the Rumble series was strictly entry-level, but with that taken in mind I'm definitely leaning towards the ampeg now. 810's are definitely way out of my budget though, haha.

14. Sartori

Sartori

The Ampeg 115 is what I'd go with. If it's similar to my SVT-15E, it's a pretty durable cab, too.

15. hsech

hsech Ain't no blues like old blues. Gold Supporting Member

My amp rig is all Carvin. I can mix and match. I have a B2000 head, 4x10 cab, 1x15 cab and a 2x10 cab. The best all around kit is probably the 1x15 and 2x10. That cranks out 800 watts with the head. If I need to cause nose bleeds and permanent hearing loss I can go with the 1x15 and 4x10 cabs at 1200 watts. Not for the faint of heart.

16. WCHIII

WCHIII

I bought a Fender 410 rumble for $289.00 I think it was. For the price, its not bad but like Carl said at medium to low levels. I took mine to its first and only gig playing through my Genz Benz 6.0 and the Fender got muddy quick at gig level volume. Its now a 4ohm practice amp or very small venue at best. Then Ill just take the Genz Benz 12 with me.....:rollno:

17. wshines1892

wshines1892

18. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

I have that Ampeg cab. It was the first cab I bought. It's nearly 8 years later now and I'm still using it. I've tried a few different cabs and even own a 410 but that 15 still sounds the best to me.

Get the 15. I promise you'll love it.

Also in case your wondering I use it in blues, jazz, rock and metal.

19. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Have you thought to try both cabinet types and listen with your ears rather than your eyes or other people's opinions? You might be plesantly surprised by what YOU prefer.

There are some "theoretical" generalizations being made that often do not translate to real world results.

20. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

410 or 115 Cab?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One of each...

21. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Between those two cabs, the 115en. A 410 is good for bassists getting together their first usable band rig because it insures that you'll have enough guns to do most gigs and isn't very costly used or overly gigantic, whereas 115's can sometimes struggle in loud circumstances. But the Rumble is Fender's bottom of the line 410 and the SVT 115en (same as the SVT 115e, just is an older cab made when Neutrik speakon jacks were semi-new, hence the "N") is Ampeg's top of the line 115, at least it was till recently, and good sound beats stupid loud volume for me any day.