1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

410s with 115?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by woody357, Mar 20, 2014.

1. woody357

woody357

I was thinking about adding a 115 to my 410 cabinet. Does anyone use that setup? What' your thought on the sound?

2. Orangeclawhammr

Orangeclawhammr Supporting Member

There has been lots written about this very subject. I have no idea what wording you could use to do a search, but you would find plenty. I use combos so I have no experience to share.

3. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Straight out a donkey's mouth Supporting Member

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

I'll sum up what the majority of TB'rs will say. "If you like your tone, and want more of it, just add a matching cab."

I liked having that pairing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Unless you have an 8ohm 115, a 4ohm 410, and a 2ohm stable amp, it's a bad idea. If you do, it isn't a good idea. With both cabs having the same impedance, you'll likely fry the 115. With the situation described above, it may not sound good. It might, but the odds are against it. You're better served to buy a cab matching the existing one.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    C'mon! You know the deal. :rollno:

8. Sartori

Sartori

Generally, no. If you like the sound of your rig but just want more volume, a second cab exactly like your existing one would be a better fit.

Part of this is because of possible phasing issues that make pairing different drivers together a bit of a crapshoot (sometimes it sounds good, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it results in some weird acoustic anomalies).

A big reason, IMO, not to, is because both cabs will be getting the same amount of power. So each 10" will be getting only a quarter of the power being sent to the 15". This would be fine if the 15" had four times the power handling of each 10" driver, but this is unlikely, and the 15" is probably not going to be as loud as the 4x10. So not only will it likely blow out first, but it'll be hard to hear the warning signs of it being about to do so.

If you are going to pair different drivers together, speaking generally, a 15" speaker has a bit more cone area and is about the same volume as two 10" drivers. So a 2x10 and a 1x15 would be about as loud as each other (generally), and a 4x10 with a 2x15, and so on.

9. spz8

spz8

You've been on TalkBass since 2005, and NOW you're asking this question?! :eyebrow:

10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Plenty use it. That tells you nothing except some do.

The capability of the stack to get loud is hampered by the power handling mismatch. At the point the 15 is maxed out a decent 4x10 is just getting going.

Your typical user puts the 4x10 on top and hears virtually nothing of the 15, but gets a much better earful of the 4x10 than when it was on the floor, concluding "this is the shizzle" and runs around telling anyone who'll listen how happy he is.

You see a lot less "why did I blow my 15?" threads these days. I wonder why? Perhaps the stack is less popular among newbies. Perhaps the users are too embarrassed to report it since they are aware of the foolishness.

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    It can work well—IF you have a two-channel power amp and IF your cabinets take EQ together well. I'd skip it as a deliberate choice. Sometimes we end up having to use gear combinations that we would rather avoid...

12. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Look out, Woody! Phase police! pssst….. :bag:
    …………………………………………………………………………...yeah man Do It.

iwasneverhere,
    fnord!

13. neddihem

neddihem

or go with a 2-10 on top. The guys at Carvin suggested to use the same ohm cab. In my case I have a 4 ohm 2-10 and considering adding a 4-10. Carvin told me to get another 4 ohm IF I was getting the new BX700 which is stable at 2 ohm. I currently have a BX500 which I wouldn't run this way.

14. brenner182

brenner182

15. deathsdj

deathsdj

I would go with a 2 15 if I was going to do that, but yeah in general it seems to be a bad idea.

16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Yeah. What could possibly go wrong? :bag: :D

17. woody357

woody357

Here is my problem I can not find a matching 210 to my cabinet, but I can find a 115. I am trying to match a Epifani PS410. At the moment when I need extra thump I add a yorkville xc115. The setup is those two cabinets with a Eden wt550. The yorkville is a mid box, and I would rather keep the cabinets made by the same company. I have read a lot of stuff here on TB, but what I don't understand is 410 with a115 is something I've seen a lot back in the day, but now it's taboo, but it's ok to use a 210 with a 115. I really don't like mixing brands so the only other thing I can think of is changing brands. The PS cabinets are being phased out, but the only thing I find that gives me a sound like them are Berg, and I don't have Berg money.

I am really trying to spend wisely because equipment cost too much not to make a informed purchase.

18. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Mixing a 4x10 and a 1x15, with the same impedance means that both cabinets will receive the same power. The 4x10 will spread that power over four drivers. The 1x15 just has one. As the 4x10 is more efficient, it will drown out any contribution the 1x15 makes. It also drowns out signs of stress for the 15 which will eventually fail.

As suggested above, do a search on the subject, it comes up just about weekly.

19. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Damn it, Woody, I wasn't kidding on my previous post.
    Experiment and don't let any taboo have an effect on you. :ninja:
    Also, brands are for cattle, not bass gear.
    The bass cab speakers and wires don't have a clue what nametag some salesman has slapped on the grill. I'm gassing for a 115 to add to my two 2x12's and the 2x10.
    Will add and subtract cabs of all variations until they take the hot soldering gun out of my cold hands. :bassist:

fnord!