420 at practice - at what point do you tell somebody?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Jan 8, 2013.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

This is NOT meant to be a thread on the evils or joys of pot, I think that's been done ad nauseam.

But here's the deal: wanting to gig more, I answered a CL ad for a cover band looking for a bassist. Exchanged a number of emails back and forth with the BL. All looks good. In my emails I mentioned my gear, experience, that I'm employed and have transportation, that I drink moderately and don't do drugs. Fine.

After all this communicating, I get to the audition with these guys, all nice guys, and get set up. Then, all set up and ready to go, the BL mentions, "Oh by the way, we like to do 420 at practice," and everyone lights up. Not a lot, just a little puffing, but there I am just, like.... "ummm, OK.... I don't...."

It's not that I can't handle guys smoking, I've been in other bands where people did. But it was pretty awkward to have it sprung on me on the spot like that with no notice, and to be the one guy in the room not partaking. There had been plenty of opportunity to mention it beforehand. Just made for an uncomfortable experience. Am I off-base here? If the guys in the band smoke, at what point DO you tell a prospective new guy and sound him out about it?
  2. Staredge

Staredge

As far as I'm concerned, they should have asked before lighting up. You could be in a position for random drug tests, and they just screwed you. Of course I have 19th century ideals on courtesy, so I could just be out of touch.
  3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Hey, sometimes these guys forget :smug:

In all seriousness, though, I think this sounds like it's your call. If you are offended enough by the lack of communication, then they fouled and it's up to you to stay or go.

But I'd at least give them a chance to see if the project goes anywhere or if the addition of pot means a subtraction in efficiency.

In my own experiences, people who decide to play with 2 of my projects already know it happens before they decide to come over... but my 3rd project doesn't even touch it or know that I partake.
  4. mmoore1

mmoore1

A lot of people view smoking as something very simple and not noteworthy. Something as simple as say, drinking a beer.

It doesn't sound like they thought it would make you feel uncomfortable; or surely they would have mentioned it.

I don't smoke either but it wouldn't bother me. Hopefully for you, the music is good enough and you can overlook the initial awkwardness.
  5. mmoore1

mmoore1

My brother was formerly a probation officer; and unless you are in a 4x4 ventless room, it is impossible to fail a drug test via second hand smoke.
  6. dalkowski

dalkowski

Ditto.

Maybe by "don't do drugs" they thought you meant harder stuff. Or because you drink in moderation, you don't mind being around a little smoke. Or maybe they just think all musicians burn at practice.

You're not off-base -- they could have handled it better. But in that light, keep in mind that you're auditioning them as much as they're auditioning you.
  7. fkh006

fkh006

My personal opinion is that neither drinking or smoking weed will make the band better. Usually quite the contrary. At rehearsals I might have a beer and I limit myself to one beer per set or less when we play out. Party time comes after the gig. If you are uncomfortable with them doing so just move on. You are a bass player. Plenty of opportunity out there. I just left a band because one of the members showed up so blotto all the time we had to retrain him on the same mistakes over and over. That and he got trashed at gigs and was an embarrassment to all of us. I feel they should have told you ahead of time as you stated you told them up front that you do not do drugs.
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

It's past tense. You need to decide whether you're in or out. If you're out, politely tell them why.
  9. denhou1974

denhou1974

Are they gigging already?

Me: "Hey guys, with all due respect I'm here to play not to _____________. Can we get on with practice?"
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Why is it so uncomfortable for you? Would it be different if they all pulled out cigars, coffee, or beers? Some folks start their day with a caffeine addiction some folks end their night with a marijuana addiction, different strokes for different folks. You wouldn't think twice getting a ride to work and having buddy stop for coffee would you? It is a stimulant more addictive than heroin, the same can be said for cigarettes.

As far as you failing a drug test because you are in the room with some smokers, they need to smoke a lot and you need to be in bad health to have your body retain it, a well hydrated person can smoke a joint and pass a pee test the next day if they aren't a hardcore smoker.

Personally I wouldn't bat an eye but I have been around drugs before, if they pressured me to do it that would be different, that has nothing to do with the drugs though, your in a band this cannot be the first time you have turned down drugs.
  11. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

That is so wrong in so many ways and shows their stupidity.
    I would have packed up and left.
    For one, they don't know you. You could be a cop or informant.
    I don't want to practice or rehearse with a bunch of gumbys. I see it the same as if they all did a bunch of jager bombs and then wanted to play.

If they can not make it through a practice or two while feeling you out they have no respect for you or their music.

I have no problem with having some drinks or some smoke AFTER practice is over.
    It just shows their lack of professionalism.
  12. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I would have been like, "yeah, thats cool. You dont mind if I huff some silver spray paint do ya?"
  13. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

I don't know anything about the pot laws of NH but you could be putting yourself at risk by associating with these guys. Pot smokers do tend to get careless and guilt by association is a pretty screwed up way to lose your freedom, your money, and your gear. Plus there's the issue of not accomplishing much that you'll retain for future practices or gigs. Sorry to sound gloomy but My time is more valuable than that and I Do mind when others put me at risk without consideration. I'd bail.
  14. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Seems like the ship is veering this direction...

Sounds to me like it's a matter of their respect to your feelings. And since they were cavalier about it and you didn't fly off the handle when it started, the ball is in your court as to whether they are in your future or not.
  15. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

And that would take hours of exposure to give you a THC level high enough to get popped.

Let's just say I did a couple of years of running those tests and seeing Men pee in cups. That excuse was a classic :p

I lay out my demands before I play in a band and ask them if there is any drug /alcohol use and how much. If it's minor I'm cool as long that it is not right in front of me a little weed might not break the deal. It's up to you and if you are not cool with it tell them so.
  16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

I dont think its unreasonable to make mention of it before the audition is set up, like over the phone.
    I partake myself, but it'll be before rehearsal, not while Im there.
    Id definitely not be toking while trying to audition someone, but they would know beforehand if that was something our band did.
  17. ZedZed

ZedZed

Does it have to be silver?
  18. capncal

capncal

poor form on their part. that should be mentioned upfront. when you said you didn't do drugs that would have been the time to say, hey, we all like the whacky tobaccy, do you mind if we do at practice?

but like stated above, sometimes us heads forget stuff....ha ha. they prob just assumed since you were a bass player that you smoked too.
  19. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I've had bands that smoked at practice and plenty that didn't. One current group doesn't learn as quickly and somemone occasionally forgets a change or a problem word in a song when baked. I make a point to stay sober (ish ;)) because we have close to 40 songs that all need kept up on. Another group I'm in features a guy who can't smoke. Since we don't smoke at practice we ended up with 11 songs worked out between a pair of three and a half hour sessions. That would have taken me at least three times as long with the other guys...
  20. Staredge

Staredge

That may very well be true.....I've never looked into it that hard. On the other hand, I'm not risking my life and career on it. They should have had the decency to ask.