1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

450 watt combo into 600 watt cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ExTek, Mar 12, 2014.

1. ExTek

ExTek

Hey guys. I'm sure there are a lot of topics on here about this. I did a lot of searches about how under powering a cabinet can be as bad as over powering it.

So here's my situation: I am planning on buying the new ampeg BA-210 combo amp. It's output it's RMS power is 450. Now say that I had a rock gig coming up, and it's gonna be somewhat loud. So I go out and get an Ampeg SVT 610-HLF. Would I be able to plug the combo into that cabinet? I'm new to bass amps. I've been using a Frankenstein fender jazz bass and I play through computer speakers or headphones. Never had a good setup. And I definitely don't have enough for a head and cab setup YET. What do you guys think? Sorry if this is a very common topic.

2. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Wherever you searched, you got bad info.

There is no such thing as underpowering.

3. ExTek

ExTek

It didn't sound right to me... But I don't know a lot yet. I just want to have a good practice rig, rehearsal rig, and gig rig all together. And I feel like buying the combo and finding a used cab is a good way to do it.

4. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

If you add a cab to a combo, it needs to be a matching cab (ie: 2X10 combo + 2X10 ext cab).

Mixing a 2X10 with a 6X10 creates a power imbalance where the speakers in the 2X10 get 3X the power of the speakers in the 6X10. You will be tearing apart the speakers in your combo before the 6X10 starts breaking a sweat.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I don't think the Ampeg combo has an Ext Spkr output, so no extra cabs can be connected anyway. A combo amp that DOES have a spkr out is needed, and you'd want to know the impedance of the internal driver, the amps minimum rated impedance, then find an appropriate cab to closely match the internal drivers.

7. ExTek

ExTek

The new Ampeg BA-210 has an extension output! But yes, thanks for the help guys. From what be been reading, the BEST bet is to just get another 2x10. So I may do that down the road IF I need more volume. But I think now, just the combo will be fine.