4x10 bass cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by drunkenDAYlewis, Apr 10, 2014.

1. drunkenDAYlewis

drunkenDAYlewis

So here's the deal; I'm heading out on the road again in a couple moths time and I want to get a smaller cab, I'm playing an Ampeg Classic (fridge) 6x10 live.

I think that there are plenty of 4x10 cabs on the market that will cut the mustard but I don't know where to start.

I play an Ampeg SVT pro head and my new back up head is a MarkBass F1 (from an Ampeg B4R)

My goal is conserving space and saving my back but still being plenty loud.
    Any suggestions?
  2. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

In keeping with the theme, an Ampeg 410HLF or 410HE should fit the bill.
  3. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

Could always get two 2X10's and stack them vertically. Saves you weight and gets the sound up higher where you can hear it.
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    The Avatar 4x10 is a nice small compact and light cab. The Hartke 4x10 is also a mice small cab.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FFTT

FFTT

I still want a Reeves 1X15" cab, but I still have my AlNiCo 8X10, howsomever when I think about getting home at 3:00 A.M.and unloading a bass cab, I don't have to lift the dead weight of my SVT 8X10, I just slide it to where it tilts out of the vehicle using leverage. Same for loading.

A 1X15" is not so heavy, but still you kinda end up lifting the full dead weight loading or unloading, same for a 4X10"

I'm thinking a 6X10" may also be easier to cart around than a 4X10" for the same reason. It's tall enough where you can use leverage to load and unload.
  7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

My Epifani 4x10 would do just fine. Monster lows.
  8. superjesus

superjesus Supporting Member

GK Neo 410. It's lightweight, loud, and low for a 410.
    B0_mon likes this.
  9. Alexander

Alexander

Sounds like a NEO loaded 410 might do the trick - or even a 212. 212s seem to be pretty comparable in terms of volume (to my ears anyway) and the NEO versions are relatively lightweight. I really like Bergantino - I have an HD212, but there is a NEO loaded version called the CN212 that is NEO.

If you want to stick with 410s, Fender makes a NEO410 that I love. The Ampeg HE cab is heavier, but has that signature Ampeg color to it (the HLF was too muddy for my tastes). I like the GK NEO stuff too.

Absolutely hate Epifani - the company, not the product. I had an UL410 that sounded decent - until I had to actually deal with people at the company. Yuck. :meh:
  10. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I just don't care for the 410 configuration. It's my least favorite driver combo. Half the drivers are aimed at your ankles and half of them are horizontally aligned, where some say it can do weird things to your sound. It's heavy, it's big... Ick.

Get a pair of 210 cabs and get the drivers as vertical as you can. Or go with 12s. Anything but a 410.
  11. FFTT

FFTT

Other than my SVT 8X10,

The most kick ass bass speaker configuration I've ever played
    through was an 80's EV/MESA Road Ready 18" with a matching
    2X12" Built like a tank but Heavy!

A Few guys were also ripping the Eminence drivers out of their
    SVT 8X10's and loading them with EV's
  12. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Ok, I gotta tell this.

When I was 16 I worked for a live sound and light company. Contract work for local bands. So having access to a shop and engineers I decided to build my own cab.

Picture an 18 on the bottom and two side-by-side 10s up top. The 10s were sealed off from the 18 and the entire baffle was angled upward. The 18 enclosure was vented across the bottom.

I got a rack and put a 400w per side Peavy slave amp in it plus a 31 band EQ. I did have a crossover to split the signal between the 18 and the 10s.

How did it sound? Meh. And it was heavy as heck.

All these years later it leaves me with one important lesson: Let someone else build your cabs :)
  13. headband

headband Supporting Member

I like my Bergantino AE410. Light and loud.
  14. AndroWal

AndroWal Supporting Member

I have an Epifani UL410 Series 1 for sale here in TB.....it is in excellent condition with cover....lightly used and very well maintained. Around 58 lbs....
  15. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Boy, you guys sure named off some cabs that don't sound like the 610hlf ;)

410hlf is probably closest to it in the Ampeg line, or maybe the PF410hlf.
  17. Reaper Man

Reaper Man Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'll throw my vote in for the 410 hlf
  18. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

If you like the extended lows that the Ampeg HLF cabinets delver, don't change, if you want to explore other tonal options, I can tell you one is the Berg NV610, enough has been written about that cabinet, the Ampeg tube SVT does real well with a sealed cabinet, but it also can sound good with a ported cabiner ... but the Berg HS410 will deliver in a nice tight tone/sound, I find the Berg HS410 really shines with a SS head, but I have used it with my Ampeg CL SVT ... as a side note, I have used my SVT-CL with a Schroeder 1210 cabinet as of late ... nice sound for small/small medium gigs, but it just doesn't have that really low end grunt/blossom/pillowy sound that the Ampeg HLF cabinets produce .... all of this is IMHO
  19. bradjonesbass

bradjonesbass

Genz Benz Uber 410 is outstanding. Their Focus 410 is great too, and can be had for dirt cheap right now.
  20. catgut

catgut

Are you are suggesting OP not downsize and replace drivers with EV's? Or just find a cab with EV's in it?
    My monster volume rig when needed is 2 stacked 410 EV10B's in Mesa Diesel deep cabs (1200W). Yes, they are the *****. But they are hard to find and EV loaded cabs are not readily available. You need time to wait it out and hunt. I'd also say if the Ampeg is doing it's job then just get the 410hlf. Of course try it out first. It is a little on the mushy side of things for me. I would rather do 2x15's than a 410. But 810's over most everything. Although I never pushed 415's:)
  21. MrRubi04

MrRubi04 Supporting Member

It seems that the popular of opinion is in favor of the 410HLF, which is what I currently use. It is heavy, it does need to be elevated a foot or two off the floor to hear better, but the sound it makes is worth it to me!