1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

4x10 Cab recommendations? please

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by phayes1007, Jan 11, 2013.

1. phayes1007

phayes1007

In the process of shopping for/designing a new amp rig. I've been playing a number of years, but never really got around to upgrading from my practice-combo amp, so this will be my first experience owing and using a head+cab configuration.

I've also spent a few months trying out different amps at different stores and I'm pretty much decided on the head I want to buy: GK-700 RBii or GK-1001 RBii

I play an Ibanez SR506 (6-string) and an Ibanez BTB 675 (5-string) and did get the chance to play each of them thru the GK's and other heads + whatever cabs the store had them hooked up to. I wouldn't by any means call myself an expert on heads, but I do feel like I learned a lot after demoing different ones for a while now (e.g. how they compare to one another/things I like-dislike about each of them... at least enough to know what I'd be getting for my $).

But.. I'm still a little lost when it comes to cabs. I did try several different brands (MarkBass, Ampeg, Hartke, GK, SWR), sizes while looking for the head, though I wouldn't call my shopping much of a "controlled-experiment" and I don't feel like I've gotten a strong sense of what qualities to look for in a cabinet or what I like about one vs. another. All I can say right now is that I'm not interested in a 1x15 or 2x15 as my 1st and single cab, I have yet to see or try any with 12''-speakers but I'll keep an open mind, a 2x10 is too small and 8x10 is way too big... so I'm basically looking at a 4x10 (or possibly a 2x12).

Anyways, I'd really appreciate as much insight/recommendations as you guys/girls can offer that'll help with my cab-hunting. For example: what are some 4x10's that I should keep an eye out for and/or brands that you would speak highly of? if you are/were a GK RB-user, what cab(s) did you run them through and how was your experience with them? etc.

I'm not expecting to have everything figured out from replies to this thread, nor do I plan on taking anyone's comments as gospel---when it comes time for me to make the decision, ultimately, I'll do what I want and listen to my own opinions first. But I could really use some direction/outside input from others, especially since I was getting nowhere asking for advice at GC or SamAsh (where most of the employees I spoke to probably knew less about cabs than me).

Thanks!
  2. phayes1007

phayes1007

btw-- I have "read the sticky" already. just in case anyone tries to offer that as advice to me...
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

The best 410 is two matching 8 Ohm 210's stacked vertically. Shopping used can stretch your budget a bit as well.

What are your budget, size, and tonal requirements?
  4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Any reason it's a 4x10, and not a 2x15, 2x12, etc. I agree, if 410 is the goal, a pair of 2x10's, stacked vertically, is the best answer. But there are many other "good" configurations. A 2x15 is already vertically stacked, and would be my choice. That, or a really high end 2x12.
  5. CL400Peavey

+1

Or a pair of 212's.
  6. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

All I can say is try as many cabs as you can ..... I currently use a Berg HS410 .... it has a nice tight bottom when used with a 5 string ... I believe the current version is the HD410
  7. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

+1

A tradition square 4x10 only sounds best if you're standing directly in front of it. If you're above it, below it, or off to the sides ("off-axis", as they say) then you don't hear the highs and mids. Two vertical 210s will paint the audience horizontally with your full sound.
  8. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    I say either 2 GK Neo 212s so you can use the horn management system or a Berg NV610.
  9. Russell L

Russell L

I prefer two 115s. Get good ones and they'll out do a 410, easily, and give you options.
  10. phayes1007

phayes1007

Interesting- that's something I hadn't considered at all. Now I'm curious... what are some advantages of running the amp thru two 2x10's, as opposed to one 4x10 (say at 4 ohms)? Any disadvantages to doing that (besides increased cost)? Other than matching the ohms correctly between the 2 cabs and the head, is it necessary or recommended that both of the cabs be the exact same brand/make/and model?

Budget for a single cab.. I'd like to stay under $800-850, but I guess I'd be willing to go slightly higher than that provided a loved the cab more than I'll probably love my future children. For 2 matching cabs.. I'd say no higher than $1200 total, spent between the two.

Tone-wise... as I mentioned earlier, I play a 5- and a 6-string so clarity of the low-B string is important to me. I play mostly prog rock+metal, thrash metal, hard rock, etc. that sorta stuff, mostly fingerstyle. I don't slap or do percussion style at all, so that's not something tonally important to me right now. The one tonal characteristic that is very important to me is the "growl"... not in excessive amounts where there's very little note definition---I want to be able to retain as much of that+bottom-end to my tone so that it sounds more "natural" like it's coming from the amp-and-speakers rather than from a distortion pedal. Other than that, honestly... All I really care about is being heard in the mix when I'm jamming or playing live with others. If I can manage to accomplish that and retain a decent-sounding tone that even somewhat resembles what I just described, I'm a very happy camper :)
  11. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

Carvin is currently shipping me a pair of BRX 10.2 cabs that sounded absolutely fantastic when I demoed a friends set. I'd never realized how much better the vertical stack would sound.
  12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

You may find 4 10's to be marginally inadequet in a loud band, where a pair of 2x12's would certainly be louder. Tone is subjective, and the only way to know if ANY particular cab will suit you, is to play through it with your amp, and your bass.
  13. CL400Peavey

The only disadvantage to running two 210's is unless your amp is 2 Ohm stable you cant run three.

As far as positives, you get better dispersion, you can hear yourself better, you reduce comb filtering, and you dont have to haul one 410 to every gig if its small.

Yes I recommend you match cabs exactly on model. This reduces any added phasing that can occur with running any two full range cabs. Think of it this way, you know the sound of one cab is good so adding a second is more of that goodness. Adding a different cab may get you louder, the the source of sound is different, and it will compete with the other cab. There are a number of reasons why matching cabs are my preference, and most of those are outlined in the stickies at the top of the amps forum.

As far as a cab recommendation, I would first say get out and play every cab you can for some perspective. I would also suggest you keep your ear to the ground for a used fEARful 15/6 or 1212/6. IMHO the fEARful (and now fEARless) line is pretty much king if you want your b string or lower to sound fantastic.
  14. phayes1007

phayes1007

Thanks a lot, dude- that answers a bunch of my questions. Don't worry, I haven't committed myself to anything yet and I definitely plan on keeping an open mind throughout my search, so I'll take that advice to heart and try out as many as possible.

I'm heading over to GC tonight-- now I'm really interested in trying out the GK through the twin 2x10's setup that you guys mentioned earlier (they usually have it hooked up an 8x10 on the floor, but I'm hoping they won't give me a hard time when I ask if they can movie it over to a new spot and set it up with a pair of 2x10's). They didn't have any 12''-speaker cabs last couple times I was there, but if I see one tonight I'm definitely checking that out, too.
  15. phayes1007

phayes1007

btw- never heard of fEARful before, so I checked 'em out online... very cool website and an interesting read. They seem pretty legit, but a litttle bit out of my price range right now. Hopefully I'll come across some of their stuff and get to try it in the near future.
  16. michricker

michricker Supporting Member

Tried numerous 410s. The berg hs410 was my pick and the only piece of gear over last 4 years I have not wanted to trade out. Love it. Get some heavy duty casters and your set for any gig. It's a smaller profile so easy to move.
  17. M. Owen Santy

M. Owen Santy

Disclosures:
    Michael Tobias Designs Kingston Series & Traynor Amps Artist
    Personally I agree with the 2 4x10 concept. And as far as cabs go - find two used EDEN or older SWR (pre Fender) cabs and you cant go wrong.

Also, Ashdown makes an "ABM 6x10" that is @ 4 ohms and sounds big as hell. About $800 new - sure you can find a used one if you look around a little.
  18. phayes1007

phayes1007

Yeah, I've been hearing about Eden as if it were the Holy Grail of Cabinets... Probably a fair bit of truth to that, since they're virtually nonexistent at any of the major music stores/dealers and off-the-charts expensive (but not the same kind of "expensive" like when I think of Ampeg or Mesa), though I haven't had the opportunity yet to get acquainted with one. I don't know if want to right now though... I can just picture myself falling in-love with it and then in a state of depression when I realize I can't afford it. Something similar to that happened to me pretty recently... Although I wasn't even looking for one, I happened to find my "dream guitar head" at a local music store. I don't even own an electric guitar, but believe me, this amp made me want to buy a 7-string right away. I must've gone into the store a +dozen times in 3-4 weeks just to fiddle around with this head-- then I think it was on the 13th visit or so that they told me the Orange Rockerverb 100 MK ii was $2400. I can't remember anything that happened the next 15min. after, except that tears may or may not have been shed on that floor. Oh well, I'm over it though- Hopefully my bassplaying will make me rich enough one day to buy it lol :p Sorry for the tangent.. Just felt like sharing.

My cousin uses an SWR 4x10, but I don't know what era/model it is. He's had good things to say about his SWR & GK head he uses, but right now he's so infatuated with the Roland V-Bass System he just bought that I don't even think he cares about what cabs/head he's using. But I've read plenty of posts/articles from people who swear by SWR. Sam Ash and some of the GC's carry a handfull of them, so they're somewhere next on my list of brands to look it.

Ashdown is a name I've seen a bunch, but other than their solid reputation and high prices.. I know almost nothing about them. They're on my watch list as well.
  19. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

20. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

I like 410s, and 2 x 210. Also, a fEARful 115 in most any mid/tweeter configuration is great. My favorite 410s and 210's are Epifani cabs, but there are tons of great choices.

Markbass, GK, Ampeg, Aguilar, Bergantino, Genz-Benz, all offer good products. Can you say more about your tastes and budget? Apologies if I missed these details in the earlier posts.