1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

4x10 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by itsnottruerufus, Nov 4, 2012.

1. itsnottruerufus

itsnottruerufus

So, I've been running a Ampeg B410 (which is nice, easy to move, but its only rated at 200 watts) and a Pf350 with a VTbass for most of my tone. I'm looking to upgrade and have considered a few different heads (SVT-3 pro, Orange Terror Bass 500, Sunn 1200s/Bassman 1200) Yesterday I picked up a older USA made SVT410hlf for a very low price, mostly because its a cab that would handle the higher wattage of these heads, plus its a 4 ohm cab, so my PF would actually run at 350. However, after getting it home and having a lovely time getting it up the stairs, as well as giving it some play time, I've realized two things. 1: Its freaking heavy and awkward to move. and 2: Being ported, its definitely a little boomy (I've messed with my EQ a bit, more mids and less bass, but notes on the E and A string still seem really low) I'm gonna give it a few weeks to see how I feel but from what I've heard the 410hlf's don't really cut through well in a band mix. My question is, what cab would be good to go with these heads? Preferably something of a reasonable weight (ie something that wouldn't be a two person job) and not too expensive (ideally under $800). Most bands I listen too (I'd say around 98%) play through Ampeg 8x10's, regardless of what head they're using (commonly an SVT though, unfortunately, due to price/weight a 8x10/SVT is not really an option)

Any suggestions?

2. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Ampeg have made some cool cabs...sadly, the 410HLF aint one of them, IMO :( I've had those many times as backline rental in Europe...just cannot make em work.

People will start chiming in soon enough on different suggestions, but suffice to say, there are tons of great options in your price range.

Folks will explain why they love or hate the 410 format, but that's turned into a way too heated argument...you like 'em or you don't.

The fact that a cab is ported doesn't make it automatically 'boomy.' The hlf just happens to be a super boomy cab. The Genz Uber 410 isn't boomy at all, for example.

As far as getting the weight and clumsy schlep down to something manageable with a 410...they're all slightly clumsy to carry. All that to say your favorite new cab may turn out not to be a 410 at all. I've always had trouble getting a single 410 to cut through a band mix the way I want it to.

Best of luck to you in your search...here's hoping you find the perfect solution!

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I would look for two 8 ohm 210's. Stack them vertically and call it a day.

4. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist

Let me be the first to say it: fEarless. Build yourself a 60 pound cab that kills any 4x10.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sahe_Bassist

Sahe_Bassist

ampeg makes a matching 2x10 for the PF350/500's, i have one and really like it. sounds great, comes with casters, light enough to carry, AND you can screw your head onto the top! i bought mine to leave at one of my bands practice space...and i liked it so much i keep it at home and pretty much use it for all of my at home playing as well as small/medium gigs (i rarely have to go without PA support, so a 4x10 is just overkill most of the time.)

IME 4x10's are pretty much always a 2 man job, even with casters. However, i hear tell avatar makes a pretty awesome 4x10 for a great price. then again ,as stated above, theres always Fearful.

7. itsnottruerufus

itsnottruerufus

See, I have another 410 already, my Ampeg B410 weighs like 60-70 pounds and I don't really have any issue with moving it, the problem is it doesn't have a high enough RMS rating for any of the heads I'm looking to upgrade to. The SVT210av was something I looked at, but unfortunately, that is also a 200 watt RMS cab. I've never had an issue with the 410 getting through a band mix, but my previous band was just a drummer a guitarist and myself, and he was just playing through a couple of ~40 watt tube combos, not half stacks or anything.

8. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

you could always add a second 8 ohm b410, or as suggested above, pf210's.

9. itsnottruerufus

itsnottruerufus

But would 2 8ohm 200 watt RMS cabs handle a 500 watt head? I don't know much about ohms and such but I'd assume it would be 200 watts going to each.

10. rodl2005

rodl2005

Running the amp flat out-would give you 250w to each cab(if the amp puts out 500w consistently.
    This would be fine, just LISTEN to ur speakers. You'd have to be really pushing the amp to get a problem I think.
    I'd do it, no probs. U would probly hardly go near full amp power running both 410's

11. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Boom! Yeah, I don't like 'em. Nor 810s. Most of them sound like my ideal bass rig...wrapped in mattresses. Even the GK one I have doesn't please me. I put it up on CL in a fit of pique yesterday even though I kind of need it under my 212. 410s just tend to sound a lot like getting hit by a car made of Nerf.

12. itsnottruerufus

itsnottruerufus

Hmm. I think from a space and ease of transportation standpoint, 2 SVT210AVs seem like the way to go. Or, would I be able to run a SVT210 with my 410? So it would function like a 4 ohm 6x10?

13. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Sure, you could do that. But remember, they each get half of what's coming out of your volume knob. So when the 210 has had enough and can't take more, you're 410 will be just getting warmed up. Essentially you'll be incurring all the downsides of a 410--expense, size, weight--and only a little bit of its benefit--the increased volume. Who'd want to do that? Better to get out (in volume) what you carry in and get a pair of 210s.

14. Balog

Balog

4x10's have some well documented issues with regards to beaming etc that are just an issue with the physics of having drivers set in a square. Me personally, I'd go for either a 1x15 or 2x15. Either build it yourself like johnk_10's epic Starliner or any of a number of folks who've done fearfuls, or get one of the high end models. Thunderchild from Audiokinesis or one of the Bassic/Fearless line from any number of folks on the Authorized Builder list. Barefaced if you're in Europe.

Among the commercial builders Bergantino is pretty well regarded. I like a pair of 2x10's for ease of moving in stead of a 4x10.

15. mowburger

mowburger

+1 to TWO (matching)210 cabs; stacked verticaly will get you closest to the 810 sound you said most of your fav bands utilize. Way easier to move, you get the height of an 810, no combing issues like side-by-side designs, modular so you can just take one cab if you need low volume rig. IMO that's the best option.