4x10 vs. 2x10/1x15

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by SamWebsterbell, Jun 12, 2010.

?

4x10 cab or a 2x10/1x15?

1. 4x10

82 vote(s)
    50.3%
  2. 2x10+1x15

81 vote(s)
    49.7%
  1. SamWebsterbell

SamWebsterbell

So heres the question
    What would you prefer in a setup; a 4x10 cabinet or a 2x10 cabinets and a 1x15 cabinet?

Make your vote and then say why.

I understand it depends on preference and the sound you like, but why did you pick one and not the other.
    June Hans likes this.
  2. MisterV619

MisterV619

or two 2x10?
  3. zuokinis

zuokinis

2x15! says it all
  4. Captain Marvel

Captain Marvel

Of theses options I pick the 4x10 but the amp I'm using usually determines the cabs I like (all tube heads and 2x15 cabs makes me happy!)
    I'm not a fan of mixing driver sizes, if your looking at 2x10 + 1x15 with the thinking 'one for highs and one for lows' thats not how it works. Many people like this combination and if it gives you the sound your looking for then great. I just believe you get better results from 4x10, 8x10, 2x15 etc.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SamWebsterbell

SamWebsterbell

Guys i am aware of the alternatives, lets just stick to these :p
  7. SamWebsterbell

SamWebsterbell

See this is what i was looking for.
    I am looking at the Ashdown ABM series of the amps i own Ashdown MAG series combo and i like the tone and lows from these but now looking to upgrade, i have tried both options in shops, i felt the slap tone was much better with the 2x10/1x15, whereas picking sounded better through the 4x10. With fingers there was a difference in the sound slightly but I liked both in this case. In my band I am prodominantly picking, but I do slap quite a bit and use fingers for any jam session and a few of our songs.

what would you suggest?
    (BTW i am acompanying it with an Ashdown ABM 500 head)
  8. Captain Marvel

Captain Marvel

I have limited experience with ashdown heads but personally I still think I'd pick the 4x10.
    The decision then is one standalone 4ohm cab or an 8ohm (giving the option to add a second if desired). I'm sure with a bit of tweaking a great slap tone will come out of the 4x10. Do a bit more testing and trust your ears! Good luck!
  9. waleross

waleross

I love to use the Ampeg 410HLF, its my favorite to use. If I used a 210 most of the time then I would add a 15" if I needed more bottom.
  10. SamWebsterbell

SamWebsterbell

Yer, the 4x10 is cheaper than buying two other cabs, alot cheaper. However, with two cabs ill have the option of only taking one to smaller gigs etc.
  11. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

You mostly play with a plec - get the 410 if it sounded better to you.
  12. Holdsg

Holdsg Supporting Member

Yep, feel the same way, and thats why I use the 2X10 plus 1X15. The 2X10 solo I use when I do a duo with acoustic guitar. The 1X15 solo I use when I do bluegrass, and both cabs when I play in a classic rock cover band. More flexibility = more genres = (sometimes) more gigs.
  13. SamWebsterbell

SamWebsterbell

Exactly, this is my argument when we do have accoustic gigs I am using a small ashdown combo (12" speaker)
    With larger gigs im using my Ashdown MAG 2x10 but it's not really cutting it. But to finance this purchase i was planning on selling both of these amps and using some money i have saved up.

Man, Practicality vs. better tone and sound for band vs. my desire to slap the bass vs. Price
  14. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    i voted 210,115. ive owned and used about every combination and always end up back at this, i listened to the don,t mix driver dribble and was never happy with any rig i owned that was all the same. the 210 always seems to cover what the 115 lacks and vice versa.
  15. acubass

acubass

If one needs a modular setup with un matched cabs, why not use a pre amp and a power amp with 2 channels. Run more power to the cab that needs it to get a good balanced sound? I've never done this bc I use only one cab. Is my logic flawed?
  16. SamWebsterbell

SamWebsterbell

Ok I am leaning towards the 210/115 option but I would be saving just over £100 (£145) buy choosing the 4x10 option, maybe more.

So why is a 4x10 good, what makes you wanna use it/ buy it?
    or...
    Why is a 210+115 stack good, what makes you wanna use them together?
  17. SwamiRob

SwamiRob

Well the scientific argument is that the two cabs will have different responses and cancel each other out, plus 15s are not inherently bassier then 10s.

If you really are interested in a broad sounding setup though you'd be best trying to biamp with a genuinely bassy 15 (alot of the don't have enough cab volume to project lows as well as they should so alot of "matching" 4x10s from the same range from a manufacturer), then sending all the lows to your 15 and setting up your 2x10 vertically so you get the best projection from it with your mids and highs.
  18. SamWebsterbell

SamWebsterbell

Wow very confusing. Ok so I love low end and really bassy tones. But when im slapping or having a jam just with the drummer I like some high mids and a bit more treble in the mix.
    So what do you think?
  19. murphy

murphy

No No No.....Biamping is not necessary
    I use a Bergantino HT115 and HT210S and it sounds wonderful...sits high enough to hear it well behind me.
    But a PIA to move two cabs, so I am thinking of going back to a one cab solution.
    maybe a golight 410???
    My Eden 410XLT just seems so heavy now
  20. MSIMSBASS

MSIMSBASS

I would get the 4x10 for two reasons. One ,the 4x10 will give you everything that you're looking for in terms of sound. Two, It will be a lot less to carry around, especially if you get a neo cab. In my opinion the 4x10 sounds better than the 2x10/1x15 combo.
    The 4x10 will give you better balance.
  21. raymondl3

raymondl3

Unless you "have to have it," don't get the 15". The 410 will be louder than the combo you mentioned. For me, the 15" is indispensable for feeling the lows, a point that is often overlooked when people ponder data sheets. When you turn up the sub bass on your amp, it's the 15" that's gonna "speak" at those frequencies by making the air bloom and shake around you. For the slapping bit though, I've always felt the 15 sounds a little wooden and clunky. If I had the option I would dial it out for the thumbin' stuff.