1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

4x12 Cabinet Options

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jan 16, 2014.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

I am looking into option for a new speaker cabinet. My must have's are 8Ohm. Pretty open. I am looking for something of a staggered design kind of like the Aguilar GS412. I would prefer something lighter weight, but it is not anything that I would consider. I am currently using my Schroeder Mini 12 and 1212, but I need only 1 box and it has to be 8Ohm. I will be hooking up a second 8Ohm monitor cab, so I can only do 1 box which is why it has to be 8Ohm.
    Suggestions? I have contacted Don at LDS about the cabinet as well to see what they can come up with.
    Thank you for anyone with more info than what I have.

2. Bulldawg82

Bulldawg82 Supporting Member

I had one of these until I came to the determination that a 4x10 would better serve my purpose (giving me a punchy growl).

http://www.schroedercabinets.com/412.htm

3. iriegnome

Would you know if the 412L came out in the older version? It would then match the Schroeders that I have now. My sound would be similar to my current sound as well.
    Man, that would be cool if I could find an original design 412 with the folded design. But not the BMF style.

4. Bulldawg82

I don't know. But, if you call Jorg - he may hook you up. He is really pleasant.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iriegnome

If I went to the Schroeder 412, I would only consider the blue rat fur version.

7. iriegnome

I have been talking to Jorg off and on for 8 years now. Ever since I bought my Mini 12. Great guy. Always has been.

8. iriegnome

Looking into the Aguilar GS412, Sunn 412, Schroeder 412, Berg NV412 and the GK Neo 412. Got a call into Don at LDS about a 412...
    Man, I am in way over my head..

9. iriegnome

It seems like I am posting way to much on my own thread.. Need to have an organic, fat deep tone, but clean and modern... Is that even possible? Driving the cabinet with a Ampeg SVT-7Pro.

10. Bulldawg82

I love the sound of 12's. I did the same thing when I was shopping around from my 4x12 cab. Nowadays, I think I will go with two 2x12's and use them accordingly. But, there is something about a 4x12 cab that just oozes cool. Kinda a like a 8x10 cab as opposed to two 4x10's.

11. iriegnome

Because I use a bass monitor for my drummers (we often lack enough monitor support to add bass) I run a speaker cabinet back to my drummers. So, I have 1 8Ohm cabinet that I can work with since I am going to a different amp. My old amp did 2Ohms, so the 3x8Ohm cab's worked perfectly. Now that I am not going with the 2Ohm option, I have to redo my speaker config.

12. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

What size "monitor" are you using ?

You do realize that it is going to get 1/2 your power, and your 4X12 gets the other half.

That means your overall output is going to be limited to 2X the power the monitor can handle.

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I'd like to see somebody build a 312 with the woofers verically aligned, a midrange and a dome tweeter, with a tilt-back style handle and wheels.

14. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

You'll have to cross G-K off the list. The NEO412 is a 4 ohm cab. G-K only does parallel wiring in their cabs (series wiring halves the voltage to speakers) and they don't offer 32 ohm 12's to make an 8 ohm cab. It can be done with 8 ohm drivers but you will need series/parallel wiring so a boutique builder may be of help.

15. iriegnome

SWR Bass Monitor with the same speaker that is in my Schroeders and no, it does not work that way. 1000w will go to both speakers, it does not divide the watts

16. B-string

This is the best argument to get a small micro head run from the effects send on the 7 Pro. Let the drummer adjust the level for him/her self with the micro on top of the monitor.

17. iriegnome

Great to know..

18. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

So.......you are going to run a single speaker monitor along with a 4X12, and you think there will be EVEN power distribution ?

You are potentially sending 500 watts to each cab, which means the single speaker gets the whole 500w, while your main cab will also get 500w to divide between 4 speakers.

Sounds like a recipe to blow up your cab being used as a monitor.

19. zenman

zenman

+1 Seems to be a flaw in the OPs logic somewhere. Either that or he's not explaining himself very well.

20. B-string

Just to be clear. One amp with "rated" output of 1000 watts (at 4 ohms) hooked up to two 8 ohm cabs (4 ohm load). Each cab shares the output equally 1000/2= 500 watts to each cab.

21. iriegnome

Theoretically only, the 4x12 would get 500w or 125w per speaker and the single cab would get 500w. However, the amp doesn't know to send out different amounts of wattage to each cabinet, so in practicality the amp sends out 1000w. It does not know that 1 cabinet is any different from the other. Therefore, the argument is mute and is flawed.
    I am looking for advice on a cabinet. Not a theory debate. I appreciate the intense thought, but it isn't needed.