4x12's vs 8x10's

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bigmantink, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Bigmantink

Bigmantink

Just looking for some thoughts from fellow bass players. I'm unsure of either getting the ampeg svt 810e or getting a GK Neo 4x12. Current rig is a GK Goldline 500 into a Peavey tx 810 that it battle worn to say the least.

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Well, I have never played through a 4x12, but I do play through an Ampeg 8x10. Knowing as little as I do, my money would be on the Ampeg.

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

The 810 will be punchy a little bit louder than the 412. The G-K412 will sound more even and deeper lows with better high end (adjustable to some extent with the tweeter adjustment).

4. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

What are your tone requirements? Those two cabs probably sound very different from each other. (Paging Bstring!)

Those two cabs come from two different angles as far as disign. The Ampeg 8-10 (or most of them anyway) are sealed cabs. What they really are is 4 separate air tight 2-10 cabs in one big box. They are low mid walls of sound! But don't go trying to get earth shaking ultra low frequencies out of them. They are built for it. They are great for that vintage low-mid good old rock and roll punch.

the GK is a modern cab. It's ported and had horns (tweeters). I'll bet that thing can throw some low frequency air like most cabs can't. Not to say that you can't dial in some great mids.

The point is their out-of-the-box tones are probably worlds apart, though both have their strong points.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Already beat you here!

7. Crabby

Crabby

I have owned both and greatly preferred the GK412. I now own a Mesa 412 and its my favorite sounding large cab. The 412's just sound well balanced to my ears and less compressed the 810 cabs. I really found the Ampeg underwhelming and missed having a horn.

8. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

The Ampeg 810 I used a while back sounded exactly like my GK stack...if it had been wrapped in mattresses. Definitely not for me. "Low-mid punch" is right. If you dig that sound, go for it. If not, go for the 412.