1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

5 basses in a rack type stand. how do i keep them from hitting each other?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by th30nlyAket, Dec 28, 2013.

1. th30nlyAket

th30nlyAket

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

5 basses in a rack type stand. how do i keep them from hitting each other?

Nothing you can do. It's like putting 3 kids in the back seat of a car: after about 5 minutes, they start whacking on each other while yelling "...he's touching me!"

On a more serious note, place the instruments exactly as pictured with the upper / bass side facing inward. The instruments (of conventional shape, anyway) are less likely to pivot and strike its neighbor. The added bonus is that it frees up the output jack.

Riis
  3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Um... set each bass in its slot carefully and don't kick it around. I've had one of those for a year or so and never had a problem with my instruments bumping each other. The way to keep them from pivoting is to make sure the curve of the instrument's body is resting on BOTH of the padded lower bars rather than just one.
  4. synterx

synterx Supporting Member

That's why I only buy the Quik Lok racks. They have separate cradles for each. And the wheels are nice too.
  5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Maybe you can make some kind of divider for the lower supports. Get some pipe insulation (similar to what's on the stand's lower support now) from a hardware store, or some other kind of foam rubber, cut some lengths and place across the two lower supports, between the bodies of the instruments.
  6. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Yep, as long as you follow this and don't get in an earthquake, you're all set.
  7. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

+1...

- georgestrings
  8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

One more thing: be sure to rotate the pipe insulation on the lower rail supports regularly. If this is anything like my Warwick RockStand, the padding wears / flattens out with time & use and may expose the rectangular bar within.

Riis
  9. unclebass

unclebass

Try drilling a small hole on the end of each arm that separates the necks of the basses, run a string through and tie a knot at the top. On the string hanging below, tie a long piece of pipe insulation and let hang to just above the floor. If the stand lets the basses lean too far back, leave enough length on the insulation to lay across the front rail on the bottom support. When you put your basses in place, they will hit the insulation and not each other, and the insulation, hanging loose, means you won't have to worry about your bass hitting anything hard, even if it's the only one on the stand at the time. Pipe insulation is available at local hardware store, and you probably have string hanging around the house already. Cheap, easy, and simple solution, completely reversible if you don't like it.(except for the small string holes)