1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

5 string bass, dropped tunings question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by meowcatsmeow, Dec 5, 2013.

1. meowcatsmeow

meowcatsmeow

So I'm looking to join this metal band, they play in drop b, (i think) so, i was wondering how i would tune to that with my 5 string bass. I know for guitars it is BF#BEG#C#, so i don't know what to do. I don't want to just leave my top string the same and then tune up my lower strings, i know that's an option people sometimes mention, but i want a consistent low sound. I don't want to have a really low sounding string and then really high ones. Should i just get heavier strings? If i do would i just tune the E to a B, A to an F#, D to an B, and G to an E? (like a four string in drop B, ignoring the top B string for now) Then what would I do with my other B string? I don't know if i should do that or tune my E to an F# and so on? Sorry if that was confusing... thanks in advance for any help.
  2. bassresistance

bassresistance

I would just play in BEADG unless you need to be in drop-tuning to play the basslines.

Alternatively, you could tune your bottom 4 strings to drop-B and then have another high string.
  3. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

That's what I'm doing in my new band, with the right strings you still get a consistent sound across the strings.

I'm guessing you'll be doubling a lot of the guitar lines, it's much easier when you're tuned the same.
  4. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Three choices I see:

1. Tune to "High C Drop B", which would basically be B-F#-B-E-A.

2. Tune to G# Standard (G#-C#-F#-B-E). Get heavier strings unless you want them loose.

3. Stay in BEADG.
  5. meowcatsmeow

meowcatsmeow

Alright, those 1st two actually sound really helpful, thanks a lot man. Yeah, i decided a while ago that i would not do BEAD. I'm not completely new, but im still learning. but yeah thanks again
  6. meowcatsmeow

meowcatsmeow

And thank you other guys too, sorry i only looked at the last response closely, but yeah i would be doubling the guitar lines, also any tips on types of strings? or gauges?
  7. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Type of strings depends on the music and your bass. I use a P with steel rounds, but some prefer nickel rounds, or even flatwounds! Check what your favourite players use and consider. Gauge depends on how loose you want the strings: go heavier for tighter strings, lower for looser. I'm not well versed in gauges for the tunings I've mentioned, though; my band does mostly D and Drop C.
  8. meowcatsmeow

meowcatsmeow

Does your band have a youtube, or facebook page? id love to look it up