5 string bass recommendations for playing in G minor tuning

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman288, Apr 6, 2014.

1. bassman288

bassman288

Hey guys i play in a heavy metal band in Alberta Canada and the majority of our tunes are played in G minor . Having a hard time finding something that will hold a tighter low G. I am currently playing a cort B5LH (34" scale) and am open to any suggestions to get that low note a little less floppy weather in be strings or a different bass.

thanks !
  2. Davo-London

Davo-London

Why would you want to detune? Why not stick with BEADG?

Are you using a lot of open strings? Could you use a bass capo?

Besides playing the G below the B string is going to be mostly unheard anyway. We need more info to help.

Davo
  3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    You are tuning the E string down to the G a major 6th (9 semi-tones) below E? That's two octaves below the standard open G string. The fundamental of that pitch is 24.4997 HZ. Pretty much inaudible, except to elephants, whales, and seismographs.

Assuming all that is fine with you and correct, can you specify the tuning you desire of all the strings on said 5-string? Scale length seems to be a major issue here.
  4. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

No 34'' bass will have a usable LOW g like that. Hell I have yet to play ANY bass with a low f# that feels useful, and I'm not convinced by any recordings either.

So ... why g?

Reminds me of when dethklock kept tuning lower to get heavier. ..

I discourage anything that low that isnt an oscillator waveform, strings just become aurally inefficient and unplayable at a certain point
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassman288

bassman288

the tuning im using is G. D. G. C. F. on the five string .
  7. Jim Carr

Disclosures:
  8. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

It's all in the strings IMO/IME
    Get some higher gauge strings - I'm sure many of us will recommend Circle K strings for tuning that low.

Satisfy my curiosity, what band do you play for?
  9. bassman288

bassman288

thanks i'll definitely check er out !.We play allot heavier **** than im use to so im a little bit out of my element lol.
  10. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

If you're going with a new bass, consider a Dingwall. Axe music in Calgary has one hanging on the wall, both the Calgary and Edmonton locations will order one for you.
  11. groooooove

groooooove

theres a reason basses almost never go lower than low B.

the low G on a normal 4 string bass is plenty low enough..

i think, at least. with a 5 string you'll have the low D, useful in G minor..

if you needed to have the low Bb for Gm, you could use a hipshot on a 5 string bass.

i know about the "C# theory" and all that, i have that record, even own a set of the strings i've yet to have a chance to use- but for all practical purposes, a low B, or maybe with a hipshot a low A/Bb, is seriously enough.
  12. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Groove, I take it you don't play metal very much?
    Some bands have guitars that can hit that low g as their lowest note, that is when the need to go lower prevents itself. It's a *need* not a *want* like in the C# Theory.
  13. Jim Carr

Disclosures:
    Does Dingwall have a 39.5" scale? Typical upright scale is 41.5" The Quake is designed for extended range. :eyebrow:
  14. spade2you

spade2you

Anyone remember when Eb was considered detuning? :bag:

Getting such a low range out of a bass or guitar is a heck of a challenge and longer scale length is always better. Even at 27" and a .070, I'm not keen on dropping my artch top and flat top acoustic guitars below B. The low B string goes from solid to mud in that step of detuning.
  15. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

So are Dingwalls.Fanned fret 37-34 scale or somewhere in that region. Do you know the band Periphery? Nolly has a custom combustion (I think its a combustion) and they tune to drop G#, his notes are clear as day. If you want proof, Nolly has a bass headstock cam of him playing Make Total Destroy live, sounds killer.

Now I'm not going to argue which is superior, they're both great and really it's OPs choice in the end, but ill offer some pros:
    Dingwalls are available locally for OP, and they cost less.
  16. bassman288

bassman288

thanks for the recommendations guys much appreciated !
  17. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

18. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    The key here drop tuning that extreme is appropriate string tension, which is best realized either via heavier gauge strings or an extended scale bass, but preferably both if you're tuning down a full two steps.

The video BIO referred to with the Dingwall Combustion is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCp8vE1ZT0g

The combination of the 37"-34" inch scale as well as heavier gauge strings (the heaviest strings gauge is likely around .170) make for amazingly clear and articulate notes and even tension all the way across the fretboard, and the Darkglass B7K doesn't hurt either ;)
  19. JcRico

JcRico Supporting Member

This. I have tuned to F# on a 35" scale bass and manage decent clarity with only a .160 on the F#. Even without a longer scale length, heavier strings (circle K is money for this) should do it for you.
    FWIW I tuned my Warwick (34" scale) to G# with a Circle K .166 and it retained a ton of clarity and tension. It may help to play around with your technique when you're in the low of a frequency range (try playing with a pick maybe?), but it's very possible to get clarity and definition that low.
  20. Dragan

Dragan

Unless you want to imitate bat flapping, or some other Heavy metal iconic moment, I cant see the point doing "low G" tuning.
    NHF! just a joke.
  21. Fender05

Fender05

Check out DR's DDT strings. I'd use the .55-.135 set for what you tune to (that's what I use, and we're in a similar tuning-low to high, I'm G-C-G-C-F). I use all 34" scale 5 strings, from Warwick, Scecter, and Ocean, and they all hold that low G just fine. The next step is a quality rig, and proper EQ, but that's another story for a different post.