5 string bass, string gauge question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by meowcatsmeow, Jan 21, 2014.

1. meowcatsmeow

meowcatsmeow

So i was looking for new strings for my 5 string Ibanez and was looking to change the string gauge. How thick of strings can i get before i have to file the nut? the factory strings are .045, .065, .085, .105, and .125. Thanks in advance
  2. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    There is not really an "absolute" answer to this question at this point....there may be some additional room for a heavier gauge, and maybe not. Regardless, it's really not a difficult mod.

What gauge are you considering?
  3. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

If you do need to file the nut I got a bead reamer from walmart that does a fabulous job if you just need the gaps just a bit bigger.
  4. meowcatsmeow

meowcatsmeow

I wanted at least a .135 or a .140 for my B string, and whatever the other strings that correspond to that.. and i think that id get it done by a professional but thank you! Sorry if this was a stupid question
  5. unclebass

unclebass

I have an Epi EB-3, and the nut slot was so tight on the strings that I actually had to unwind the E and A strings from the tuner and pull them toward the bridge. My other bass was able to up from .100 to .110 with no mods at all. It depends on how much play you have in the nut. You should be able to put a set of balanced tension D'Addario rounds and only have to modify the B slot. You can use a small round file or sandpaper wrapped around your old string. Just be careful not to go too deep.
  6. meowcatsmeow

meowcatsmeow

Ahaha, not what i wanted to hear, but thank you very much.