5-string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by DocBop, Aug 1, 2007.

1. DocBop

DocBop

Newbie Alert....

I tried searching but the search engine surprisingly came up blank. So forgive my rookie question.

I see 5-string DB's advertised and some mention here. I wonder are they mainly adding a B-string or a high C-string?
  2. Silversorcerer

Silversorcerer

Yes! :bag:
  3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

More often low B or low C below E, but in the jazz world sometimes a high C. The main drive for the 5 string DB came from the need for contra C in orchestral repertoire, and is the most popular way for reaching this in Germany and some other European countries.
  4. DocBop

DocBop

Cool thanks for the explaination.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. oldprussians

oldprussians

Disclosures:
    IT Professional!
    Personally I've just converted mine to 5 and I can't imagine how I lived with out 5 strings!

Playing low Ds and Eflats Heaven!
  7. ZH_Driver

ZH_Driver

Well I have been trawling through old posts looking for 5-string info and since this is here I thought I'd resurect an old thread to ask my questions...

I am an EB player saving up for my first DB. I have been looking at a Gilga Series II 5-string model as my first bass. My question relates to getting a 5-string as a first bass. I want a nice bass (solid, not lam) that will last me a while since they are a little more expensive here (Australia) than other places. I'll be up for about $5500 ($AU, list price) for a 5-string and $5000 if I went with a 4-string.

Those that have played both, what advice would you give for a first time DB buyer? Do you think going straight to a 5-string is a wise choice? (I remember when 7-string guitars got popular and a guitarist from some band made a comment about all the teenagers buying them... something along the lines of "they should've learnt how to play 6-stings first!").

While I am here... anyone know much about the Gilga brand? (Romanian or similar I think) I couldn't find much on here.
  8. shadygrove

shadygrove

Try searching on Gliga :)