5 string bridge with tight spacing?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ronbeast, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction. I'm looking to mod a $20 precision bass that I bought, and I want to turn it into a 5 string.

Basically, I'm looking for a bridge that won't break the bank, but is also reliable. I've been looking at the mods that member Ric5 has done, and that is what I am going for, but I'd rather not put a $70 kahler bridge on a bass that I only paid $20 for.

I know wilkinson did the 4+1 bass bridge in the '80s, but the only one I've come across was heavily used and was way too pricy.

I've considered ordering some of those really cheap single string bridges off of ebay, but I have no way to verify that they can do the tight string spacing I'm looking for.

I know some people will say that this mod is probably not worth the money, but I'm not planning on sinking much money into this, and I already have all of the pieces for the mod (minus the bridge). Just looking for suggestions on a good cheap bridge, or basically any bridge that would work.

Thanks,

Ron

2. millsbass5

millsbass5

3. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

I figured out the math after. I can order an Ibanez bridge off of Ebay for approximately $12, which is an amount I am willing to spend on this project.

With the math done: the 4 string bridge offers around 2.5" from the E to the G string, which means The strings are 21.16mm apart.

With the narrow spaced Ibanez bridge, I have 2.6" to play with, meaning a string to string spacing of 16.5mm.

Can anybody verify that I did this out right? I'd like to be sure, but it seems right to me.

So, it is a fair bit narrower than the stock 4-string bridge. But I do play a little bit of guitar, and I think I will be able to deal with the spacing.

The spacing at the nut will be the hardest to get used to. The spacing at the nut will go from approximately 11mm to 8.5mm, give or take a bit... Kinda tight, but doable.

-Ron

4. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ronbeast

Ronbeast

Hmm, that bridge doesn't look too bad either. Possibly do-able, I still like the thought of the Ibanez bridge though, as that one can do a comfortable bridge spacing and it's easier on the wallet.

Anybody else have suggestions for something I may have missed?