1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

5-string conversion kit

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Taylor Livingston, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston

Disclosures:
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    on hipshot's website, they sell a kit for converting a four-string into a five. it includes 5 tuning machines, a bridge, and a nut blank. i don't get it. won't the string spacing be a bit unmanageable? especially on a jazz bass, which is what they show it on in the pictures. am i not getting something, or are other people more willing to put up with so little spacing?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

complete junk IMO - unless you're a pick player.
    Better buy a used fiver.
  3. gweimer

gweimer

I don't know if they are around anymore, but Wilkinson used to make a 5-string conversion kit that didn't require any special drilling of the headstock. You'd replace the bridge, the nut, and the string retainer (which was the fifth string tuner). I de-converted a G&L that had one of these, and it was a breeze to make it a 4-string again.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer Supporting Member

Is this the one that the extra tuner was on the bridge?

I played a bass like that in a pawn shop a few years ago.

The spacing wasn't that big of a deal, to me at least. It was tight (about 9/16" or so) but playable.

I would be more concerned about the long-term impact on a neck designed to be a four string that is taking the tension load of a five string.

Chas
  5. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston

Disclosures:
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    pardon me if i'm misinterpreting, but i think he's saying that the fifth tuner was where the string tree would go, and it has grooves, so it acts as a string retainer as well. i guess maybe the string retainer/tuner would be the fourth tuner, and the one that was the fourth gets bumped to fifth. does that make sense?

1---2---3---4
    e---a---d---g

gets bumped to

1---2---3---sr---4
    b---e---a---d----g

sr being the newly added tuner. maybe that's not how it is; just my mind trying to envision.

i agree about the tension - especially with the truss rod problems of fenders.
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

From what I have gathered, kits like that came out back when five-strings were very hard to come by, and they allowed people who couldn't get one the opportunity to have a fiver. Seems pretty useless nowadays, when fives are everywhere and don't cost much more than fours.