1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

5 string fretless...WHAT

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ArturoOsito, Nov 8, 2012.

1. ArturoOsito

ArturoOsito

So i recently got a Carvin B50F 5 string fretless. I love Carvin products. I have a guitar by them and a micro bass combo, both fantastic. The bass itself was amazingly built and the pickups were fantastic.

HOWEVER: the low B string was totally unusable. Everything from a low C to a G and all the way up the neck buzzed horribly. I raised the action as high as it could go and it was still terrible. So I sent it back to swap the neck for a fretted neck.

The QUESTION is: is this problem simply inherent to five string fretless basses? I love the sound of fretlessness, and I'm looking into a four string, which feels like DEFEAT.

Could y'all please chime in with thoughts on this? Does Carvin just make bad 5 string basses? Are 5-string fretlesses inherently buzzy? (I don't believe that for a second) Was there something more I could have done?? What the heck!!
  2. tZer

tZer

I have 2 5-string fretless basses - one being a 5-string electric upright - both built by me - neither behave as you describe.

I'd have to conclude that you got a lemon. There are plenty of 5-string fretless basses out there that have perfectly functional low B strings.
  3. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

My Carvin AC-50F is really fairly awesome! I played it for the first time in years a few weeks back, and I remembered why I loved it in the first place. Plenty of Mwa, no buzzing...... If I get carried away on the open B I can get a bit of fretboard clack, but that's just my ham-fisted technique.
  4. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Sounds like it just needed a new nut with the B string slot not cut so deep?
  5. neebs

neebs

Man that's unfortunate. Fretless is awesome.. I would've asked for a return. Or the least resistance.. strung it EADGC
  6. ArturoOsito

ArturoOsito

So maybe they messed up the nut? And I got a return but I didn't even think to try another fretless...and the low B is where it's at for me, I really have no interest in a high C...
  7. BrotherEarl

BrotherEarl

It sounds like the slow for the low B was cut too low.

It also could be an issue of the scale. I know plenty of folks that do fine with a 34" scale. I've never found one that I could stand for very long until I got to spend some time with a Lakland with a 35". To me the difference was like night and day.
  8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

A low nut would cause the open string to buzz, not stopped notes. I would have checked the neck's relief and worked on the whole setup before I returned it.

John
  9. tZer

tZer

OK, maybe you didn't get a lemon, but I can tell you for a fact that 5-string fretless basses with great sounding B strings are everywhere.

If the one you got was not a lemon, it was at least a good bass with something bad about it's B-string situation. It could have possibly been due to a number of things ranging from the nut slot depth to fingerboard imperfections to a fault in the string itself to the bridge saddle to...

I called it a lemon because that's a term used to describe an instrument brand that in most cases is great - except this one. Any brand can have it's share of lemons. It doesn't mean the brand is bad - it means that a particular unit had a flaw.

Sometimes you can get a funky string too. I'd call that a lemon as well. Again, the brand may have a fine reputation but even the best of brands has it's occasional lemon.
  10. ArturoOsito

ArturoOsito

I cranked up as much relief as I could...still nothing. I sat there for a half hour adding relief...testing it. Adding relief...testing it. All the way until I could turn the truss anymore. There was just something wrong with it...
  11. tZer

tZer

It could have had an imperfection in the fingerboard. The B-string itself could have had an imperfection.
  12. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

I have a Carvin B50 w/interchangeable fretted and fretless necks. It is a fretless 90% of the time.

It's an astonishing bass and I have no buzzing problems whatsoever, and it has the factory nut. I also like my action low and this one has it in spades. Sounds like it could have maybe used used a set-up, or possibly the neck had a twist or something?

FWIW, I also have another B50 and a B25. All Carvins, all 5 strings, all amazing.
  13. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

I have a (34") fretless 5, and the B string is great.

I made it.

Now I want a ham sandwich.
  14. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Just traded away my Fretless stingray 5 and didnt find that it had really any amount of buzz aside from the general ballsy digging in tone that I usually get playing aggressive as I do.
  15. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

It could take hours for truss rod tweaks to take effect.
  16. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

I have 2 LB76 ( one fretted one fretless ) and I think it is a case of change of weather/humidity or the strings. Because it was shipped from California to somewhere else ... so of course it will have to settle.