5-String Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kazz3lrath, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Kazz3lrath

Kazz3lrath

I have never played a fiver. I have wanted a Jazz-Bass for a while, and am interested in putting together a 5 string J bass from Warmoth Parts. Is there anything I should know about 5 string J basses? Are other types of basses better suited for a fiver?

2. Nickthebass

Nickthebass

IMO 5 string J types are the the dog's danglies and the bee's pyjamas. :D GO FOR IT!!!

3. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

why not pick up a used mexican fender for 400-500?

4. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

34" scale B not a problem?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Construction is more important than scale length in determining a tight B. I've had 35" that were floppy, and 34" that felt great.

7. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Gotcha. Stiffness of neck and neck joint solidity, then?

8. skidmarkbass

skidmarkbass

My Warmoth Jazz 5er is my fav. SD Quarter Pound Jazz pups/Chrome Flats. My only complaintis the weight.

9. awilkie84

awilkie84

String tension...that's what will decide whether a B feels good, or not. Combine that with a good setup and good strings.

I've had 34" Bs that were great, some were mediocre. I've yet to find a 35" I don't like, though. Something about that extra inch changing the tension that the string tunes at is key.

10. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    You should know that everytime you want to touch the fifth string you should leave the bass behind and start running without looking back.

Ok seriously, a fiver jazz bass is my perfect bass configuration. You have nothing to worry about.

11. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

actually, fourstringbliss has it right. it's not tension, but the compliance in the neck. it's the same reason that hard tail guitars feel stiffer (when bending notes) than ones with trems. if the neck is less rigid, the b will be more floppy.

12. Jbassrockboy

Jbassrockboy

My US jazz 5 is great tone but very heavy and neck heavy. I now have a US jazz 4 string and I can't see myself reverting to the 5 at any time in the near future. But we do what we gotta do and if it's Jazz 5 you want then if nothing else you will learn from the experience.

13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

I'd take some time and play as many Mass Market and/or Boutique 5-String Jazz & Jazz-type Basses before you decide to go the Warmoth route. From the type of woods you'd like (some people prefer the natural "neutrality" of Alder while others like the mid-scoop you get from Swamp Ash) to its String-Spacing (can range anywhere from the tight 16.5mm of the Ibanez SR line to the "full" 19mm of most Fender as well as MTD and others - basically added another string onto a 4-string Bass) and Pickups & Electronics (from old-school Passive Pickup setup with a passive tone roll-off to Passive Pickups mated to an Active Preamp that can boost & cut various frequencies all the way to Active Pickups such as EMGs) you want to be *sure* what you like in a Bass before building one or having it built for you. Especially with Warmoth, which the vast majority of people would agree makes & sells extremely high-quality parts, but which you'll never get close to the money to put into it compared to a Production Bass such as a Fender, Sadowsky or Mike Lull. That's the problem with "Custom Basses"... they're custom to you, which most people aren't. :smug:

Don't get me wrong, I think a 5-string Jazz is a *great* place to start on the Road To Fivers (I have a Mike Lull 4 & 5, and even my Custom Spector Euro Bolt-Ons haven been modded to be half-Spector, half-Jazz), but having a Warmoth 5 built might be more than a bit premature for your first 5-string.

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    A 34" B doesn't have to suck or be floppy. The new Fender Jazz V's have a great B as an example.

Also, I would put the B of my 34" Fodera up against just about anything.

15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

I've own/owned 34 and 35 inch 5 string jazz basses. Some great here. Truss many as possible. I personally prefer a 34. My sadowsky has a great B string as well ad my fender 5.

For me, the extra inch on a jazz bass was awkward for me. Didn't feel right to me. Had a few great 35 inch jazz fivers and never bonded with them

YMMV