5 string jazz pups with balls

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pappasgrind, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind Supporting Member

Having an awfully hard time deciding on jazz pups for my bacchus 5. I'm putting a j retro deluxe pre in it. I'm looking for loud beefy ballsy bowel shaking pups. My ideal tone would be something like Rex browns tone on down 2 (example 8 seconds in http://youtu.be/0q7TQ1ygFA4 ) any suggestions I know this is probably the most redundant pickup question on here. I'm even interested in having some made so don't rule out customs
  2. brendanbassist

brendanbassist Supporting Member

Pretty sure Rex uses Spectors with EMGs (primarily).
  3. Pappasgrind

He does and on that one particular he was using emg dc. Is there something similar to that In jazz pup form?
  4. brendanbassist

Hard to say. You could stick with EMGs and go with the J5, but they won't sound the same since the DC are dual coil. Maybe a split coil like the Delano JMVC 5 FE would be closer.
  5. Pappasgrind

6. brendanbassist

7. Pappasgrind

Damn I just spent my funds on the east pre I'll probably get the pickups in a few weeks I need to make sure they fit too
  8. Pappasgrind

I'm considering emg jax pups now I don't think theyll fit though as my bass routes are close to 4 in this is starting to be a pain