5 String Jazz, with 24 fret extension? And a deeper cutaway?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b525, Mar 17, 2014.

1. b525

b525

Does this idea seem too far-fetched? :meh:

Here's the bass that I will soon purchase, I've tried it out for hours, love the low action, incredible playability, sounds good enough, definitely worth more than what it costs, it's a Squier Affinity:
    [​IMG]
    But I'm not too fond of the 20 frets, I prefer 24...
    I then came across this image from Warmoth:
    [​IMG]

And it sorta blew my mind. GENIUS. I could either get my fingerboard replaced from my local luthier or order that from Warmoth, maybe.

The result so far would probably look something like this, but with 5 strings:
    [​IMG]

Okay, now I have an upper fret access issue. What if I carved in the lower horn cutaway even deeper? Making the 24th fret more accessible?

I'd love to hear your opinions! ;) Also, I'm probably gonna convert it into a High-C instead of a low-B.

And if someone could do me a favor and photoshop the result of this mod, I would really appreciate it! :p Thanks.

p.s. I know I'm crazy.

2. b525

b525

It would probably look something like this, sorry for the rough edit. Should I go for it?
    [​IMG]

3. ElectricHeir

ElectricHeir

I honestly think it'd turn out to be incredibly ugly, and your picture kinda affirms it, so it might be better to look into a bass that has 24 frets to begin with. The balance might be better that way too.

4. LagBox

LagBox

Cool idea, I don't see why you couldn't do it. Just watch out for the routing inside the body (I don't think this would be a problem.)

You could also decorate it.

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Manton Customs

Manton Customs UK Luthier Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Luthier, Manton Customs
    It would be possible but it'd be a lot of work sorting out that lower horn and re finishing. You'd be better off to just find a different 24 fret 5 string jazz bass you like....Or living with the poor high fret access.

7. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

First off, you don't have to cut the access all the way back to the 24th fret... probably the 22nd or so and then carve the front part of the body a little. I think reducing the size of the whole horn would be more visually appealing, as that long shoehorn looking thing starts to look like a spaceranger schlong bass.

More like this:

Attached Files:

8. darrenmt

darrenmt

You're better off just buying a Fender Jazz Deluxe 24 fret 5 string or something like that. No point spending time and money on something that won't look right and possibly have issues with balance or playability.