5 String Neck through Body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madmarvin, Apr 14, 2014.

1. madmarvin

madmarvin

I'm considering getting a 5 string neck through body bass. I currently play 3 four strings I really like: Ibanez SR800 (1993), Fender MIJ Power Jazz Bass (1989), Lakland JO (2010).

I've decided I'm not really a Jazz bass guy, but I do love the neck and playability of the Lakland. I really really like the neck on my SR800 because I have a bum wrist with some carpal tunnel and it seems to act up more on thicker neck basses. I will probably be selling the Lakland bass to fund this.

What I'm looking for: A five string neck through body bass with a thin neck that does not have a Jazz bass pickup configuration. Top end of the purchase budget is probably around $1000. I would consider more, but at this point I don't know how much I will like or how well my wrist will respond to playing a 5 string and don't want to go higher than that.

I've looked at the SRX705 and the SR905, I like both of those but I am looking for other options. Thoughts?
  2. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Peavey Cirrus (neck thru model, obviously).
  3. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

Check out Carvins. Especially used.
  4. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

Check out the Spector NS-2000/5, or the NSCR. 2 5 string options that are KILLER basses and can be found for under $1000. :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. madmarvin

madmarvin

Oh also to note: I probably will replace the pickups and preamp (if active)
  7. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Schecter Stiletto 5 - They used to have two neck thru models, of which I have the Elite, which was discontinued (and a good value used). The slightly higher-end (3-band EQ) Stiletto Studio 5 is still in production. The Elite was my first 5 and a really nice bass for the money. Decent neck, great sustain, modern tone. I find the 16.5mm string spacing on the Stiletto 5ers to be a little tight for my right hand, but YMMV.
    [​IMG]
  8. madmarvin

madmarvin

All suggestions appreciated, very nice!
  9. SlapPopPluck

SlapPopPluck

I actually just bought an SRX705 on Friday, I really like it and I haven't had any trouble with it. I'm sorry if this isnt very helpful. I'm not a very experienced bass player and this is only the second bass I have ever owned (my first one was a $100 "junker" that I picked up at a music shop two years ago), but I can try my best to answer any questions you might have about it.
  10. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

Carvin
    Spector Euro

Either one is neck through done right.
  11. madmarvin

madmarvin

The Carvin custom options are so sweet, I wish I had more of a chance to play one.

One question on the 705 would be on weight, they look super light. I also wonder how stable the necks are. My main fear with a neck thru is keeping them straight, especially with the weather changes here. 84 today, snow tonight.
  12. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

I had a neck thru 5 at one point. I decided that it's just not a good idea, with the bass sustain getting out of hand like a gong, and all.
  13. mtdkingstonheir

mtdkingstonheir

Ibanez BTB 775PB. Very nice - I'm really digging mine. :)
  14. PAguy

PAguy

15. madmarvin

madmarvin

Quick search on the bay has two for under $500. I love the black, and the neck size seems about perfect.

Thanks again for the help, it will probably be a couple if months before I do anything but I'll update this when I do.
  16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

This one would run a lot more than $1000

[​IMG]
  17. gumbynotpokey

gumbynotpokey

Go check out the Carvin website.

;)
  18. madmarvin

madmarvin

A good friend of mine owns a Ric that I played often, the neck is too thick for my wrist. His was a four. I like Ric's and have used them in a couple recordings, but probably will never own one because of how expensive they are and the fact it could never be an every day player.
  19. Wallace320

Wallace320

+1
    Ric's often haunt my (enthusiast bassplayer) nightdreams tho'

Cheers,
    Wallace
  20. djasterix

djasterix Supporting Member

Look for a used Cort A5 in the classifieds, good sounding and great value bass. Comes with Bart pups and pre...
  21. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

According to the article discussed here (http://liutaiomottola.com/myth/neckJointSustain.htm), neck through does not sustain better than bolt on. And, possibly, a good bolt on joint actually gives better sustain than neck through.

Does anybody here think they need better sustain than you'd get from a Sadowsky or Lull or whathaveyou?