1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

5 String Neck Thru P/J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by miggychunt, Jan 20, 2014.

1. miggychunt

miggychunt

I'm trying to find a bass that meets these criteria:

-5 string
    -P/J pickups
    -(preferable) neck thru
    -24 frets, if possible
    -(preferably) passive pickups

For a frame of reference, my favorite bass is my cheap little Yamaha RBX 170. I love the tones I can get out of that bass, but I have yet to find a 5 string bass that sounds as good in terms of the mellowness of the P and the bite of the J.

I've been looking at the Washburn T25 and Schecter Studio 5, but I'm still pretty on the fence.

Also, preferably not too ridiculous on the $$$ if possible (as always).
  2. Starflyer59

Starflyer59

3. pfox14

pfox14

4. miggychunt

miggychunt

The biggest difficulty that I find is that a lot of 5 strings have a bridge-neck pup config, but not a P/J, which is the sound that I really like because it allows for a more versatile sound.
  5. MrTaff

MrTaff

I wanted a P/J but there's not many options, in the end I went for an LTD with EMG 40P5 & 40TW pickups, with the TW in single coil mode it sounds close enough to P/J for me.
  6. miggychunt

miggychunt

That's what I think it'll come down to. Unless I go for a custom bass, I think I'll have to buy a bass that covers everything else, and then just change the pickups.