1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

5 String or stick with 4

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington' started by scottie65, Jan 24, 2014.

1. scottie65

scottie65

Hi Anthony,
    I think I had seen you and Victor on a video once and all I can say is that you two are awesome. My question is that I am wondering if I should try going to a 5 string bass and if so what are some of the advantages of having the low b note. Is there that much music out there that one would use it or is it something just good to have in case a person wanted to do more solo playing? Just trying to get a little advice.
    Thanks,

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Hey Scottie,

I guess everyone's reason for playing extended range basses is different. I don't think play a 5-string with a low B for soloing. I think people general add higher strings for soloing and chording. But the role of the instrument(and it's name) suggest 'foundation'. The low B is conducive to the role of the instrument.

But adding strings also add options. You more places to play the same notes(frequency).

I started play 5 string basses to cover the synth bass in a lot of Pop sings. Then I got used to the benefit of having multiple versions of the same notes. It's actually 'harder' for me to play a 4 string bass than a 5 string bass.

peace,
    anthony

3. Bassman197835

Bassman197835

I just swapped a few weeks back after 15 or so years with nothing but a 4. It was a touch tricky for me! at first cause I kept hitting G for a C,B for E and so on. Habit was telling me the B was my E string. But I'm getting more accustomed and although I'm not using the B string that much yet!! I dont think I'll be going back. After a few weeks I already put the 4 down pretty fast when I pick it up.