1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

5 string p bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by epic576, Jan 17, 2013.

1. epic576

epic576

Bassists of all genders, I offer you greetings

As the title may suggest I'm on the hunt for a 5 string precison style bass, with the one split pickup. Do these exist? Make honestly doesn't matter I'd just like it to try out a 5er. New or used isn't an issue, I'm in the UK if that's any help.

My first post so don't shoot me down in flames

Cheers

AJ
  2. mystic38

mystic38

they made them (Fender), though i am unclear how the hum cancelling works in that configuration.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

Fender makes a nice one: the American Standard P-bass 5. This model is passive, and only has the one split pickup.

Fender's previous P5, now discontinued, is the Deluxe. It had an active preamp and a second pickup toward the bridge, a split humbucker.

I prefer the Standard, but used Deluxes can be found.

There are also five string P-basses available from boutique manufacturers: Benavente, Lull, Nordstrand, Sadowsky. But those will cost more than Fender -- in some cases, a LOT more.
  4. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

I've just got a 5-string P/J (straight P also available), hand-built, for less than a US Fender.
  5. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    The Fender P 5 is nice. I used to have one. If I get another one it will probably be a Sadowsky.
  6. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

Fender P5 is pretty awesome. Try to see if you can find a used one. They've been around since the latter half of 2008.
  7. Bigfoot92

Bigfoot92

Sandberg makes them too, but only with active electronics, and not much more expensive than a fender (edit: actually they cost around the same price as am-standard fenders). And you can choose the options you want (colours, matching headstock, top wood...)

http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/basscat-overview/calv-series
  8. ahc

ahc

Lakland makes one too... the 55-64 (formerly the Bob Glaub) in Skyline and US made. Nice bass.
  9. wrench45us

wrench45us

you may also want to check out Yamaha BB425

it's a P/J configuration, good quality, and about 1/2 the price of American Standard P 5

there is a higher priced Yamaha in the same range as that Fender
  10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Love my 5 string P. I like the idea of a more classic, passive P that happens to have a 5th string. Here is a picture of my Nordstrand 'Nordy' VP5. 8 pounds, and that 70's/80's style gloss poly neck (he also does a more classic alder/rw/nitro build). It is a funk machine! Spendy, but worth it if you have the cash.

That being said, I've played a couple of the 'New American Standard' Fender 5 string P's (if I have that name right... Fender has a million different models, basically the classic 5 string passive P model with the improved hardware). They both needed serious set-up work (not really a big deal) but sounded great and the basic quality seemed very good.

[​IMG]
  11. epic576

epic576

Thanks for the replies.. I probably should have said budget, since it may be my first 5 string would there be any budget lower end models, SX Squier etc?
  12. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

If you're looking in the under $400 range, I guess you should find a used Yamaha BB425(X) or BB415. Killer basses (hot pickups), but they are PJ.
  13. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

MTD makes the CRB and I've heard good things about it. I had a Fender P5 and it was 'ok', compared to the other 5'ers I've owned. Kinda hit or miss between individual basses.

If you like 35" scale, I highly recommend the Lakland Skyline series P5's.
  14. SoVeryTired

The MTD Kingston CRB is a great bass. Not real bargain basement but I think sub-£500.
  15. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    I love my Fender American P5, which is funny because when I started playing bass back in the Dark Ages I hated my Fender American P4 (which now would be worth a buttload as "vintage").

Interesting, but I'm not aware of any budget instruments that are straight P5 setups, and I looked for some before I sprung for the Am Fender. (for example, the Squier P5 is really a J-bass!) The P-neck tends to be pretty wide, so with an extra tuner and a new nut and bridge you might be able to make one out of a budget instrument if you only want the P configuration. But there are a number of budget PJs or Js out there in 5-string.
  16. bostrowskij

bostrowskij

17. SoVeryTired

ESP LTD B15, £174.
  18. steve f

steve f Supporting Member

Nordstrand's NP5 is hard to beat and Carey is a very cool guy. Highly recommended.
  19. awilkie84

awilkie84

The Fender P5 is quite nice, but I found it lacking on the B string. A little too floppy for my taste.

Schecter makes a Diamond P5-Custom that's quite nice. 35" scale, and has a humbucking double jazz in the bridge position, too. I've played one and LOVED it.

If you're looking for a P sound, you could always look at a used Spector ReBop or legend & swap in an EMG 40P5 pickup, too.

The hum cancelling works because you still have effectively 2 pickups working as 1. The BEA strings are on 1 & the DG strings are on the other (which is reverse wound to the first).
  20. mark beem

mark beem Supporting Member

Were I in the market for one I'd go with a Lull or Valenti

http://mikelull.com/site/instruments/basses/bass-P4_P5.html

www.valentibasses.com