1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

5 string P-pups.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mexMan, Feb 17, 2014.

1. mexMan

mexMan

Are they the same than a 4 string precision pickup? Is there another pickup that emulates the sound of a precision one? Are there many other five string P-Basses out there, apart from the Fender five string P, and a Schecter model I found?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are actually a bunch of p5's out there. I know the regular forum search won't let you search on a two-char term like "p5", but if you use google inside talkbass you'll find several threads listing and discussing them.

As far as the pickups, there are also several different ways of doing a p5 pup. Some are just a p4. Some have one half the same as a p4, but the other half is longer. Some have both halves longer. Some use the same shell size as a p4, but with more poles. One model has the halves together in a Z shape.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Most 4 string p-pickups work with 5 strings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. mormoyboy

mormoyboy

Ric, what about jazz pickups.
    Can one span 5 strings over a 4-string PU?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Peredur

Peredur

Ric5, you must be heartily sick of answering such questions, but what is the bridge in your first picture? I have been stalking you around TB on various 4 into 5 threads and have located a black 15mm bridge you have alluded to, but really want a one piece chrome one.

TIA

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Most 8 pole 4 string pickups will work with 5 string basses that have a narrow to medium string spacing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Schaller

[​IMG]

9. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps
    Some of the non Fender 5 string P style Basses that I've tried had different than Fender sounding pickups. The Schecter had ceramic mags so it had a hot sound, the Yamaha BB had a cool or smoother sound (to my ears). At this time I'm using a Bill Lawrence P-46 and the sound is very "Fender" but (again to me) like the best of Fender P pickups. All the P-5 basses I've played had a bridge pickup so that figures strongly into the equation.

kotp Dave.jpg

10. Peredur

Peredur

Thanks. For the record for anyone else researching this topic I bought 5 individual bridge pieces off Ebay for peanuts and all squished up together they worked just fine. My pickup worked just fine. I could not get on with the string spacing, so I sold it. YMMV.

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I have done that as well on a few basses. The min spacing is about 2 1/2".

12. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    The Duncan Custom Shop can make some with five separate magnet pairs.