1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

5 string padauk neck thru with walnut/flamemaple/figured maple and snakewood board

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by CustomTech, Jan 24, 2014.

1. CustomTech

CustomTech

havent really been logging on for a while or following, been quite busy with other stuff going on, but i figured id throw my latest build up here since its a kind of off the wall design loosely based on one of my usual standard shapes, changing the horns around a bit. not qute sure if im going to inlay the neck, as i hate covering up nice snakewood, but i have inlaid my snakewood boards and they look beautiful just the same. the padauk, walnut, and snakewood used in this build is about 25 years old and quite possibly older since thats when i acquired it. the padauk neck through blank i made a long time ago, and never finished it so i figured it was about time. thats why you dont see the process of that part here, though i probably have some old pics of building it somewhere. i know im leaving a bunch of the roughed out pics out here, like before shaping the neck/body joint, hollowing out the control cavity, etc. sorry.

i hope you like it, i know and understood before altering the horns that it would be hit or miss with some people being how the horns totally make the normal shape of my bass into something totally different. this is usually what they look like. this is also a flat top while i usually radius them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

anyhow, heres the new build, let me know what you think!

figured maple top before splitting. i made 2 tops out of this 6/4 piece i found. its about 12 wide and 32 long. some voids to fill, but most dont end up on the top, the rest i can cut into headstock caps
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

top split and shown against the neck blank
    [​IMG]

back will be walnut sides with flame maple stringers against the neck blank
    [​IMG]

shape traced on top
    [​IMG]

horns roughed out and sanded to make it easier on life after glue up
    [​IMG]

glued and clamped
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

shape cut
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

back shaped and edge radiused, neck blended into body
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

top edge radiused, sanded, couple coats of gunstock oil applied and sanded off
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

control cavity partially complete
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and completed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

top with control knobs laid out, possibly not what will end up on it, or might.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a better look at the snakewood board
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

almost there, headstock ears were glued on last night, ill probably do the cap today, and a back laminate. frets n pickups are about all thats left after that. then some more gunstock iol and maybe beeswax, some polish and a tune up. this isnt commissioned, im just building it between other stuff because i need to have some things on hand. it sucks when a nice piece goes out the door and a customer comes by and you cant show them!
  2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

They look great.

Any brilliant advice for how to keep that infernal padauk color from running?
  3. CustomTech

CustomTech

thanks!

i dont usually have a problem with it. i just get all the sanding dust out of the pores by wiping it down really well with lacquer thinner, until the paper towel dosent show much reddish orange getting on to it and then the oil dosent really make it run into the maple. once you have the first coat on (dont wipe it in hard and that will help with bleed also) youre pretty much good to go and can really get into it after that first coat.
  4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Lacquer thinner. I'll try that. Denatured alcohol doesn't seem to do the trick.
  5. wraub

wraub

Vacillating on the horns (it's me. not you), but these look pretty great.

That Greenburst is just super cool...
  6. CustomTech

CustomTech

let me know which way you end up leaning on them......the way i look at it is, i can always take some off and streamline them.

the bottom horn did give me an idea though......and i think in the near future im gonna run with it.....if i do both horns like that, and change the back end to 2 more, i can do pretty good skull and crossbones body...... :p

this is what i actually wanted to go with, along with the radiused top, but i didnt have enough tail on the bottom of the neck blank, the back cut interfered with the bridge, so i had to leave it out on this one....

next one i do may be an 8 string (double 4), so i can rout the back part of the rear cut down and put 4 tuning machines through behind the tailpiece with a slight mod to the cut..

[​IMG]
  7. CustomTech

CustomTech

ears glued on the headstock, headstock cap bookmatched, glued and clamped. next is the back overlay and shaping the headstock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Very nice work. Beautiful woods and your design is very interesting, seems as though it would balance well.
    The greenburst in the first post is fantastic!
  9. CustomTech

CustomTech

thanks. it does balance perfectly, you can pretty much balance my basses on a finger on the top horn and it will hang perfectly.

everyone always likes the green one! it looks nice with all gold hardware. i built that one about 20+ years ago, and it had faded horribly from sitting in a stand and the sun coming in through the window every day for years. i recently stripped the hardware, scuffed it down and resprayed the burst part. here you can see how faded it had become. check the difference in green from where the bridge was covering the finish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ill throw in a couple more greenies ive made....yeah yeah, i know.....theyre guitars.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. wraub

wraub

Well, on reflection, I think I like the horns. At least, the more I look at it, the more I like it. :) Reminds me a bit of Mooradian.

I like the bottom-scoop version on the calendar even more.
  11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

I love those clamps --- I think. Does the screw side have some kind of dual head also, or is it single point and you have to watch for bending if you over tighten?
  12. CustomTech

CustomTech

they are single point, but i never have a problem with them. i had a gift card for home depot and grabbed a bunch ofclamps, these looked good. i use them a lot for gluing on fingerboards and alternate them on an angle, they work great that way.

[​IMG]

or like this and then ill alternate a few c clamps between the others on opposite sides.

[​IMG]
  13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Very interesting, thanks.
  14. CustomTech

CustomTech

thanks for the response!