1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

5 string passive p pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Anonymous7, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Anonymous7

Anonymous7

Yeah I know that's an oddly specific question, but recently I've become interested in p bass pickups, and was just wondering if anyone had sound clips of a 5 string passive p pickup. Or could tell me of any you know of and wether their good, I know bartolini and emg have some, but I have no idea what they're like.
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I don't have clips, but I have tried three passive 5-string P pups that sound great, and a fourth that sounded pretty decent.

Yamaha BB, Bill Lawrence P46, Jackson MIJ from the 90's, and Fender Deluxe P5. The Fender was the "decent" one. The Lawrence is sized to fit a 4-string rout, but has multiple poles that allow more strings, just adjust the pup placement. If I was buying the pup by itself, I'd go with the Lawrence. If I was looking to buy a whole bass, I'd lean to the Yamaha.
  3. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

This is kind of up my alley. I modded an old Squier and got rather absorbed in finding good 5-string P-bass pickups. Consequently, I've had several brands in several different basses.
    A you tube search will get you some info. I recall Friedland doing a demo of a Fender P-5 which pretty well demonstrated it's sound. Played one myself. I liked it. Indeed, it sounds like a P-bass. Very classic.
    Nordstrand makes a really nice P-5. In a standard 4-string size. It's vintagey - IMO the sound is toward the smoother side. Punchy and a nice P-bass sound. Clean.
    Bartolini makes 2 of them, both in standard size shells. I like them both - one is Classic bass and the other is Original bass. The Classic has a good bit more high end than the Original. Both have exceptional punch and growl like a demon in a bass with swamp ash body and maple neck/FB. For my money, I liked the Original, less bright one best. Has a lot of pop like a vintage P-bass. I don't have to fight clacky high end with it. It also has killer deep low end. Playing the B-string, it makes my band's 2x10 Roland pump out air like it has fan in it.
    The Yamaha is indeed good. I have a BB415 and it hangs right in there. Like it a lot. But I don't think the individual pickups are available, and they are different sizes for the bass/treble side, like the Fender.
    I also tried to do the P-bass sound in a soapbar shell thing; results were less than satisfying. The EMG version was better than the Bart version, although they both sounded good for what they were.
    In the end, I'm with Bart P-5s. I like the standard size better than the mixed sizes of Fender and others. The punch and growl of the Bart Original Bass P-5s are where I need to be for the funky blues that I currently play, sound kind of jumps out of them, and I really like them. These Bart Originals are in a Warmoth bass I built, swamp ash with maple neck and fingerboard. My band think it's the best sounding bass I play (compared to Pedulla, Modulus, Fender and others I own).
    Good luck!
  4. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Oh, and Delano makes one too. I haven't tried that one, a bit pricey.