5 string set on a 4 string bass (drop c)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JoeyTrauma, Jan 9, 2013.

1. JoeyTrauma

JoeyTrauma

I don't like the "looseness" of my low c string at all so i thought about using a 5 string pack on my bass but haven't a clue what strings i should use or if this would even be a good idea. Please help. I won't be doing this myself cuz i KNOW i will mess it up. All i'm doing is buying the strings and taking my bass to the shop.
  2. Mykk

Mykk

Just take into consideration that the nut at the end of the neck would need to get filed out for the larger strings, and in some cases depending on the bass and bridge the string saddles may not accommodate the bigger strings either.

Once you clear those hurdles a good set up, truss rod and intonation adjustment you'll be in business.

You may want to consider a light gauge five string set since you'll still be a whole step higher than a traditional fiver.
  3. Essen

Essen Supporting Member Supporting Member

Buy a set of DR DDT's. You can still buy then as a regular 105 gauge, but you might want the 110 for drop C. These are my go-to strings for lower tunings.
  4. xfredrikx

xfredrikx

I tune CGCF with DR Lo-Riders 50-110. No problem at all with looseness
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I used 50/70/90/110 for DGCF, but could have gone with a 115 (D). For "C" I'd go with a 120; 115 minimum.