5 string single-cut build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kaoskater08, Jan 7, 2014.

1. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

I've been browsing this wonderful site for a while and finally getting around to posting the progress of my second bass build. I'm currently putting the finish on and will post the complete instrument. This has taken me a while to complete...I can't wait until it is finally done.

Specs:
    -5 Piece Maple w/ bubinga stringers (middle stripe of maple is flamed)
    -Birdseye Maple FB
    -Ash Body
    -Alder "Tone" block
    -Walnut Top
    -EMG J5 pickups
    -Michael Pope Preamp w/ mid freq switch and mute switch
    -Hipshot A style brass bridge
    -Gotoh gold tuners

I started with making a template from my Yamaha BB605 and modifying it for a single-cut shape and gluing up the neck/fingerboard/tone block

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Next, I glued/shaped the body wings. I put a little naphtha to show figure on one photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Fingerboard Radius, abalone dot gluing, and putting on the body wings with a little bit of shaping

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Headstock work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Now all of the shaping to the instrument. This part took the longest for me to complete but in the end very worth it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Iwasaki curved file is probably one of my favorite tools now. It was so easy filing the contour of the neck heel after I chiseled out most of the wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Progress photos of the neck heel :hyper:
    [​IMG]
  7. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Everything else to make this bass complete! Mike Pope Preamp, knobs, strap locks, brass bridge, EMG J5's, and pickup routing templates from Best Bass Gear.

[​IMG]

Drilled the holes for the preamp and routed the cavities

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert Gold Supporting Member

9. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Now to dry fit everything before putting the finish on!! I'm not a big fan of how one of the knobs is really close to the pickup but I'll make it work. It took some work to fit that preamp in the cavity but it is in there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Mjinsk

Mjinsk

Congratulations! It looks really good.
  11. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

A few days ago I inlaid my traditional "E3" into the headstock (My name is Eddie and I am the 3rd in the family....so why not make it mine? ;) ). Right now I am waiting for the finish to cure. The bass has a satin finish sanded all the way up to 2000 grit...it is super smooth!!

I forgot to mention in an earlier post that I put the finish on the fingerboard before putting the frets in...that's why it is taped up in the pictures below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Thanks!! I can't wait until it is completed...I had to put this bass on hold toward the end of the summer last year to move and start grad school. It just sat there staring at me so I decided to get everything done on it while we are out for Christmas break. There were a few very late nights of just sitting in the garage carving this thing but looking back it was worth the effort.
  13. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

The bass is done! :hyper:

This bass sounds so much better than I had hoped....and plays very well. A little on the heavier side for my liking but nothing a padded strap can't fix.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

That turned out great! The walnut is beautiful. Are those cracks on the back and neck or is that part of the grain?
  15. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

How does one make their own fret board and make sure its radius is mathematically correct?
  16. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I radius all of my boards with a radius sanding block and 80 grit. When I am finished I check them with a straight edge.
  17. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Thanks!! That's just part of the grain on the maple.

+1