5 string that can drop tune

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NeverIsNow, Mar 21, 2014.

1. NeverIsNow

NeverIsNow

I need an affordable 5er that can handle stuff like Drop G# and Drop G. Tell me about some basses that can do this. It's fine if the action is a little high.

Throw me some suggestions! Thanks.
  2. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

A lot of basses can, but as a precaution avoid very thin necks. They can handle tension too, but i'd be paranoid. Using the right strings goes a long way, be sure to get strings with the same tension ( or close ) in Drop G# and G that regular strings do in standard.
    I recommend Circle K/Kallium strings.

Another factor is pickups~ I can't help you there, but stay away from cheap stuff and be sure to do a search here to find peoples opinions.
  3. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    What's your definition of 'affordable'?

Honestly for tuning that low I personally wouldn't consider anything aside from a Dingwall Combustion/ABZ; keep an eye out for a used one, Combustions can occasionally be had for less than $1k.
  4. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

you really don't have to spend a ton of money on a bass to go low. however you will infact spend a ton of money on strings. The one string for f# on my 7 string costs just as much as the other 6 strings combined. As far as affordable 5 strings. I've seen several bands in metal who tune down to G or F#. Most of them don't play anything super fancy. Usually stuff like the higher esp ltd surveyor or ltd f series that come with EMG electronics.

prime example

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NeverIsNow

NeverIsNow

Thanks guys, I can see now how strings would be a big factor

By affordable I mean.... let's say $700 or less.

I like it!
  7. lennie28

lennie28

Don't know if you've made your mind up already but thought I'd contribute...
    I use an Ibanez BTB 5 string which I used to play in drop G# but now play in drop G. Works perfectly and holds the tuning really well. I bought mine second hand for £300 (roughly $500)

I'd also recommend investing in some decent strings designed for drop tunings.
    My B string is DR Drop Down Tuning .145 which holds the low tuning really well and then a set of DR Hi Beams at .110, .90, .70 and .50.
    I got my strings from Bass Strings Online the B for $9.04 and the set for $21.75 there was also $17.00 shipping but then I live in the UK so that's expected and it's probably cheaper for US.

Also love Mnemic! Great choice Nephilymbass :D
  8. generation zero

generation zero Supporting Member

I'll second the string thing... I play in drop G#, and I drop my E to C# as well... I had to go up to a 145 for the low string, and I think the E string went up to a 115 or 120. Super huge strings, but even the low G# sounds as clear as a piano, no mud whatsoever. The bass is a PRS Gary Grainger 5 though, not exactly what most people would classify as "affordable"... but still, I think it's just as much the larger string as it is the bass.
  9. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

My MIM Fender Jazz V has been tuned to drop A for 3 years, I've had it to Drop G on several occasions and twice had it Drop tuned to E.

It handled it with out any problems

Personally I no longer care for tuning that low, but she'll handle it. and they're going for what, 350-400 used right now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwV79HKNhk8

I use DR High beams on it. Medium Light.
  10. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    +1. The MIM J-V is a Well Kept Secret in the $500 & Less catagory. Another consideration would be any of the 35" ESP LTD's floating around. I find 19mm spacing accomodates the looser strings, and as mentioned before, Strings may be your bigger challenge as most decent basses can be setup to tune low.

Best of luck in your search for Depth!
  11. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Used Peavey Cirrus BXP's can be found around $300
  12. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

This. Definitely a Spector because of their super strong necks. Then go to www.bassstringsonline.com and build you a nice balanced set of drop tune strings starting with about a .145 B string.
  13. eukatheude

eukatheude

You will also probably need a new cabinet.