1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

5 string tunings and string gauges

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson' started by musicforpeace, Aug 22, 2011.

1. musicforpeace

musicforpeace

I recently purchased a 5 string bass with the idea of tuning the top four strings up one whole step to go with a guitar in drop B tuning. I've been told this would require extremely light strings to loosen tension, or the neck will be destroyed. Any advice on what string gauges would work well for this?

2. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Your best bet would be to ask Michael Manring on his forum. He's the string and tuning expert!!! Have fun!!!

3. Massimo636

Massimo636

http://circlekstrings.com/store/standard-drop-tuned-5-strings.html

Somewhat expensive, but has the perfect tensions throughout every string. I've looked around, it's pretty much the only way to get the right string tensions for a drop tune. I use the .118 pack for drop C on my 5-string and it's perfect.

.124 .082 .061 .045 .031 B-F#-B-E-A

4. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Great....glad you found what you need. Sorry I couldn't be more help.....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

D'Addario also has a string tension/tuning matrix pdf that you can download to find the proper strings for the same tension as conventional tuning at the pitches you're wanting to play as open strings. I have used their chart for years for exactly such applications, including alternate bass string tunings, guitar open tunings, "terz" tunings, etc.