5-string Warmoth build with Hipshot trem SUCCESS!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jscomposer, Jan 2, 2013.

1. jscomposer

jscomposer

[​IMG]

What you can't see because I was too anxious to put it together is that I routed a recess under the bridge to allow pullups.
    Good ol' hammer and chisel. [​IMG]

Other than that, my aim was as simple and cost-effective as possible. As if you couldn't tell. :smug: Alder body, maple neck, pau ferro fretboard (ok, so I splurged a bit there), Gotoh machines, EMG 40TW with push-pull volume. Gunstock oil finish all over.

Oh btw, HIPSHOT IS THE GREATEST COMPANY ON PLANET EARTH AND HERE'S WHY!!! The sustain block was knocking into the back of the cavity so I couldn't do pullups even after routing the top. I emailed Bill with my conundrum, and within a week I had a custom-cut block in my hands, one that narrows to the width of the spring cavity. I was literally in a state of disbelief--I couldn't get over their amazing customer service.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Anthony Fury

Anthony Fury Supporting Member

The force is STRONG in this one. I like it a lot.

That's a pretty friggin awesome Hipshot story!

3. bassteban

bassteban

Nice! I am a fan of trem on bass. What does the push/pull pot do- other than volume?

4. jscomposer

jscomposer

Selects between humbucker and single coil (stacked so it's hum-free). EMGs with "TW" on the end are dual-mode.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jscomposer

jscomposer

I spoke too soon. When I went to intonate it, I got this:

[​IMG]

I tried everything under the sun setup-wise to no avail. Turns out Warmoth had a mistake in their program. So they fixed it and made me a new body. Since I had to start over, here's a pic of the routing I did to allow pullups:

[​IMG]

7. jscomposer

jscomposer

8. jscomposer

jscomposer

Upgrades courtesy of fretsonthenet: control cover with battery box, and trem cover with screw driver spring tension adjustment holes.

[​IMG]

Now it's done.

[​IMG]

9. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

How does the single pickup sound?

Looks cool, man.

10. jscomposer

jscomposer

Thanks. :D

I'm not really a bass player, so it's hard to say. The only objective thing I can say is that it's noticeably lower in output than the humbucker mode. Tone-wise, I find it more even and articulate than the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz, but not quite as sweet and juicy as the Duncan SJ5. So basically, I prefer the tone of real single coils vs split/stacked hum-canceling ones, but this EMG is quite good.

EDIT: I just realized you said single pickup, while my brain was telling me single coil. :rolleyes: This is actually my first bass humbucker, so I have nothing to compare it to. Sounds good to me, though. :smug: I'll have a better idea when I start recording with it next week.

11. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

Cool!

I bet it would sound killer with a Nordy Big Single too.

12. millsbass5

millsbass5

It kinda reminds me of the Ibanez Gary Willis Sig. bass. Minus the ramp & weird (tho very cool) tuning keys.