5 STRING

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GODSBASSMAN, Jan 24, 2013.

1. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Last night played a P bass 4 string with a SD 1/4 pound pickup and it really filled the room in a good way (850 seats). Deep, punchy, powerful sound. Got lots of compliments on the sound.

Now I want my American Standard 5 string P bass to do the same. But SD dos not make a 5 string 1/4 lb pup. What are my options?
    Thanks
  2. hrbassji

hrbassji Supporting Member

EMG, Nordstrand, and Bartolini make a 5-string P-bass pup. For something similar to the 1/4-pounder, I would probably go with the Nordstrand since it has exposed poles and it's passive. The Bartolini is passive too, but I believe it has rails instead of poles, so it would have a different sound than what you might be looking for. Hope this helps.
  3. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

4. hrbassji

hrbassji Supporting Member

Oh yeah, forgot about those, haha.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Since the cases of the Am Standard are uneven in length (BEA is longer than DG) ... that limited my choice to one that was not an answer to my quest.Interestingly enough swapping the SS strings for NPS was. And much less expensive as well. That's a good thing.
    Thanks for the posts in answer and to Bestbassgear.com for helping also.
  7. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

Completely awesome. I love those guys.
  8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

5 strings on 8 poles works good for me ...
  9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Say what? Stainless steel strings aren't also "deep, punchy, and powerful"? :confused:

MM
  10. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Since Nordstrand makes the NP5 and calls it "for Fender" and "a faithful reproduction" I considered I already have what I can get as a drop in solution. The Rotosound SS are I dont know how old and the NPS are brand new so just maybe that has everything to do with it. BUT the purple silk (and I remember stringing Smith's on the old P bass) (probably "Rockmaster steels) strings are I do not know how old - maybe 10 years...? Different basses respond differently to everything.
    Anyway the nickles on the Fender 5 P did the trick in this case. Did not need to change the pickups.
  11. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

My Fender P5 Am standard was strung with Dean Markley SR2000 strings tonight and played out...definitely Deep, Punchy and Powerful. Gain 3/4, Master volume noon, bass 3 o'clock, mids 3 o'clock, treble 9 o'clock...Fender Pro 800 through Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 1000 cabinet. Nice. :cool: