5 strings on a 4 string neck (bridge question)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ZackLow, Dec 20, 2013.

1. ZackLow

ZackLow

So, I'm going 5 string on a 4 string neck (1.75" nut). Am I going to need to build/ frankenstein a bridge or are there any bridges out there with a narrower string spacing that will work?

I'm at work right now, so I dont have a chance to measure my current bridge or string spacing or the spacing i will need but i will post that info later if needed.

EDIT: current string spacing is .578125 and will need to be .4625
  2. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

I think you will need to measure it up and post what it is currently. That will give everybody an idea of what the spacing will be with five strings.
  3. ZackLow

ZackLow

By my calculations the string spacing will need to be approximately .4625" center to center. Current spacing is approximately .578125" center to center.
  4. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

I will use metric on this, because I find it easier.

Your current spacing is .78125" ~ 19.84mm
    19.84mm x 3 = 59.92mm (four strings means three gaps between them)
    59.92mm / 4 = 14.88mm (four gaps for five strings)
    14.88mm ~ .586"

Seems to me you need roughly 15mm spacing, which I have heard of some bridges pulling off. There are a few adjustable ones(Kahler makes one), or you could go with the individual bridges(sometimes called monorail bridges).

If anybody sees anything off in my maths just say so. I don`t want Zack to get the wrong bridge because I fat fingered a number somewhere.
  5. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

Just saw the corrected spacing you edited in. That changes things, a lot.

I`m getting about 11mm final spacing, or about .433. I rounded a bit this time.
  6. ZackLow

ZackLow

Haha. Sorry about that. I missed a number. Thanks for the help. Seeing how the 15mm spacing may have been difficult to find, I'm guessing making something is going to be my best bet.
  7. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

Unfortunately I think you may be right. That should not stop you from looking though. There is always a chance somebody out there is making what you need, or could point you in the right direction for getting/making it.