1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

5 strings with 34 scale, 21 or 22 fret, 17-18 mm string spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RSmith, Nov 13, 2013.

1. RSmith

RSmith Supporting Member

I've come to realize that my ideal 5 string specs are 34 scale, 21 or 22 fret, 17.5 -18 mm string spacing
    So far Music Man, Fender, G&L and Carvin fit these parameters, who else should I be looking at for these specs on a nice 5 string??
    I'm working with a budget of 3k so I'm looking at mid-high end options this time.
    Thanks,
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Valenti or Sadowsky.
  3. RSmith

RSmith Supporting Member

Aren't Valenti's and Sad's 19mm spacing?
  4. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

In an effort to obtain a cheap alternative to my EBMM 5ers, I bought a Peavey Foundation 5... As with most MIA Peaveys, it came with excellent fretwork - the bridge was 16mm spacing, though... The neck is almost exactly the same shape and size as my Sterling 5 HS - so, I bought a Fender MIM 5 string bridge, mounted it on the Peavey - and now I have a 34" 5er that has 17.5mm spacing at the bridge, just like my EBMMs... It's passive, but sounds great - and best of all, I've only got around $200 into it...

If you get a chance to grab an older MIA SUB5, I would highly recommend them - it's basically an "ugly duckling" Stingray Classic 5...

- georgestrings
  5. RSmith

RSmith Supporting Member

Nice..

I would go with the SR5 over the SUB as budget is not a big concern on this particular purchase. I'll look at options $3000 and under which is pretty inclusive if you consider used basses too.
  6. Wallace320

Wallace320

BB1025 (BB1025x if with pickguard and Chrome cosmetics) is around a grand

BB2025 (BB2025x if with pickguard and Chrome cosmetics) is around 2 grands (MIJ, agin' tonewoods and Vintage finish)

Best passive P/J basses out there

Cheers,
    Wallace
  7. Bobster

Bobster

Squier VM Jazz V, Squier VM Precision V, Squier VM Jaguar V

These are all 34" scale, 18mm spaced with 21 fret necks.

They run about $325 for the Jazz, $299 for the P, and $249 for the Jag.

Squier is having something of a Renaissance now, these are very nice, reasonably priced instruments and something of a TB favorite.

All the best,

Bob
  8. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    As a new/first time EBMM SR5 owner I can recommend them 100%. Great tone, playability, B string, etc. Nothing but net.
  9. RSmith

RSmith Supporting Member

Wallace,
    I will check those out a quick google search looked impressive...

I hear you on the Stingray 5, it's the front runner so far, hence this thread to make sure I'm not leaving anything off the list.

Thanks
  10. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

I checked out one of the new VM jaguar 5's and it sure felt like 19mm spacing to me. but I could be wrong.

I hear you on the love for the SR5, I could use the B string as a thumb rest all day long and never touch it, but that string spacing, neck and playability just feel so good.
  11. Bobster

Bobster

18mm is the new 19mm for Fender... ;-)

I've actually taken a micrometer to my VM Jazz V....

Now the Squier Active Deluxe V is a whole different aircraft carrier....

One other point, as to the SR5. They are 17.5mm spacing and I personally recommend the HS configuration!

Bob
  12. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

hmmm try Spector Legend custom 5..not sure of spacing but i believe they are 34 inch and are thunderous for the price.. usually can get a neck through for 400 to 500
  13. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

It's why I decided to build Warmoth basses. 17.5 to 18mm spacing. 22 fret. (based on the pre-2010 Fender American Deluxe V platform)

Using blade style pickups make adjusting back and forth between 17.5 and 18mm a simple matter with a Hipshot A style bridge. (The Silverburst G5 has custom 18mm Nordstrand Big Splits installed)

Attached Files:

14. georgestrings

I'd recommend you check out a Sterling 5 HS also, then - I prefer mine over the Stingray 5 HH it replaced... The Sterling has a slightly slimmer neck, is lighter, and it's ceramic pups are more mid present than the alnicos in the Stingrays... The Stingray Classic 5s also have a slightly slimmer neck and ceramics, with a 2 band preamp - which some prefer over the 3 band preamps... The Classics are said to be a little heavier, though...

At any rate, you can't go wrong with an EBMM...

- georgestrings
  15. georgestrings

I'm pretty sure they're 35"...

- georgestrings
  16. RSmith

RSmith Supporting Member

Doug,
    Those basses are sweet! I really like the J, the other one looks too much like Raider colors.. I'm from Escondido :D (a Charger fan in Raider Nation)!

Otherwise to be clear- The VM Squires and Legends ect .. are good deals at their price point but I'm working with a budget of 3k so I'm looking at mid-high end options this time.
  17. Bobster

Bobster

In the almost $2K category, I recommend the Big Al triple-pickup. Extremely flexible and same neck profile as the other Music Man basses.

It absolutely does it all, and I personally like it's look a lot.

All the best,

Bob
  18. Wallace320

Wallace320

aw yesl... they are

I bought two of 'em (different mods per each) just because of the type of himass brdge which is the very same as the one on '90s Yamaha Bbn5... so... same string spacin'

but what a nut! Yamaha Bbn5's tight at the nut: Squier is really an ebonol platform:D

I love'em all anyway

Cheers,
    Wallace
  19. Bobster

Bobster

ebobol?

Wallace320, to clarify, yes the Active Deluxe V has an ebonol fretboard and is 2" wide at the nut, with a 12" radius.

The VM Vs have maple (Jazz & P) or rosewood (Jag) fretboards. All are 1.875 at the nut with a 9.5" radius.

Totally different feel.

Bob
  20. Wallace320

Wallace320

Infact Squier Deluxe Jazz V has more a Precision (wise) kinda neck... translated to a 5er nut, exactly 2"

I just stated that I wanted the deluxe because I never liked the standard 5er bridge on the VMV (for instance, the same
    on MIM deluxe Jazz) while the deluxe sport a himass bridge that I already knew from early Yamaha Bbn5 (Nathan East)

Cheers,
    Wallace