1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

5 way rotary switch?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 4bassguitar, Jan 8, 2013.

1. 4bassguitar

4bassguitar

Hello again!
    I am putting together a dual p pickup bass and I'm using a 5 way rotary switch as a pickup selector to utilize series and parallel options. Originally I wanted a 4 way switch, but I found an unopened Stewart Mac 5 way rotary switch in my house. How would I wire this? Both my pickups have 4 connector wires. Please and thank you
  2. 4bassguitar

4bassguitar

Oh, I like having a master volume and tone, I would like to keep it that way
  3. Sni77

Sni77

4. 4bassguitar

4bassguitar

It's in German,
  5. ChloroPhil315

ChloroPhil315

6. bassbenj

bassbenj

When you say "dual P pickup" I assume you mean a p-pair at the neck (usual) position and another pair at the bridge. The way I would wire those would be with the usual 4 options. Neck only, both series, both parallel, bridge only.

Since P pickups have two coils you can put those in series or parallel too as an option, but I built that into my Squire P/J 5er and I found that P-pickup-pairs in parallel really just aren't that useful. In my case I had vol/vol so the usual 4 way switch wasn't an option.

And as for the 5th position? Well as it turns out I did one of those nifty 5 way switches as well and I decided to use the 5th position as "mute". Just run everything to ground. After using it for a while I have to admit that a "mute" position is a VERY nice feature to have. You'd think that just turning down the volume isn't that big a deal, but I tell ya, the mute switch IS nice to have.
  7. 4bassguitar

4bassguitar

I really like the mute idea seeing that I want a master volume and master tone push-pull pot with a wilde q-filter