5 way rotary switch?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 4bassguitar, Jan 8, 2013.

1. 4bassguitar

4bassguitar

Hello again!
    I am putting together a dual p pickup bass and I'm using a 5 way rotary switch as a pickup selector to utilize series and parallel options. Originally I wanted a 4 way switch, but I found an unopened Stewart Mac 5 way rotary switch in my house. How would I wire this? Both my pickups have 4 connector wires. Please and thank you

2. 4bassguitar

4bassguitar

Oh, I like having a master volume and tone, I would like to keep it that way

3. Sni77

Sni77

4. 4bassguitar

4bassguitar

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ChloroPhil315

ChloroPhil315

7. bassbenj

bassbenj

When you say "dual P pickup" I assume you mean a p-pair at the neck (usual) position and another pair at the bridge. The way I would wire those would be with the usual 4 options. Neck only, both series, both parallel, bridge only.

Since P pickups have two coils you can put those in series or parallel too as an option, but I built that into my Squire P/J 5er and I found that P-pickup-pairs in parallel really just aren't that useful. In my case I had vol/vol so the usual 4 way switch wasn't an option.

And as for the 5th position? Well as it turns out I did one of those nifty 5 way switches as well and I decided to use the 5th position as "mute". Just run everything to ground. After using it for a while I have to admit that a "mute" position is a VERY nice feature to have. You'd think that just turning down the volume isn't that big a deal, but I tell ya, the mute switch IS nice to have.

8. 4bassguitar

4bassguitar

I really like the mute idea seeing that I want a master volume and master tone push-pull pot with a wilde q-filter