1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

50-110 lo-riders...can my bass handle them?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by williamk, Nov 27, 2012.

1. williamk

williamk

I accidentally bought 50-110 lo-riders (I was trying to get regular 45-105) and when I got home and discovered what I had I was pissed.
    BUT,
    I have a p-bass I love on which, sadly, all strings feel kinda 'slack' and loose which I hate. I'm thinking maybe I should put these here instead of on the other bass for which I originally bought the strings (they don't even fit in the nut on the other one...).
    My p has had 45-105 sunbeams and 45-105 precision flats. What will happen with 50-110 strings? Will they feel tighter? Will I have to change something? The tension might have to be fixed??
    Thanks!
  2. socialleper

socialleper

They will feel tight and will pull on your neck a little if you tune to EADG. The Low-Rider series has a hexagon core which makes them a little stiffer than Hi-Beams and Sunbeams.
    That said, those are excellent strings for down tuning.
  3. williamk

williamk

so if I want standard tuning...I'll have to reajust the neck?
  4. Ezmar

Ezmar

Possibly, that's not a huge change. It might be slightly off, but I (in my unprofessional opinion) wouldn't think that it would Necessitate a change. Of course, if you do put them on, and find the action's too high, or that there's too much neck bow for your taste, then you'll want to adjust the neck.
  5. Duckwater

Duckwater

I have used anywhere between 40-100 and 50-118 tuned to standard on my main bass. I haven't needed to adjust the neck at all, I always readjust my action and intonation for different levels of tension though. I love high tension strings, my right hand doesn't mind the tension and my left hand benefits greatly from being able to take my action lower. Lower tension strings feel more grabby to me and get a softer blooming sound which sounds really nice as well.
  6. williamk

williamk

Ok good, nice to know. But in no way can i damage the neck or bridge or whatever?
  7. Ezmar

Ezmar

Unless you put them in with a hammer or saw, you should be just fine.
  8. williamk

williamk

Thanks! I guess ill give them a try..!