500~ amp to play with a band?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Yogen, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Yogen

Yogen

So the "band" is finally put together next week (started as 3 guys doing covers on guitar, then I went bass, soon to be a "complete" band with the new drums), and I don't think my 30 watt Fender will be heard over the drums.

We play "technical" (still got a long way to go) thrash metal, so the drums will be faast and heavy, and guitar very distorted, so I'm looking for an amp to help me cut through, so I need power.

As for the sound, my "ultimate" goal is to have a good aggressive high on the mids, fear inducing sound coming from my fingertips, but I can't afford a 2k amp oe bass yet, so as close as I can get will be good.

Don't need volume for any kind of gig, just enough to sound good over the drums.

The Fender Rumble 150 seems adequate, I looked at some Peavey but found that their sound isn't good, and the Ampeg BA115 has hiss problems.

If needed, I might be able to increase my budget just a bit, thhe thing is that living in Mexico, everything costs about 200$ than the original price (trying to buy online doubles the price from taxes and shipping).

Thank you for reading my unnecesarily long post.

2. Outlaw_son

Outlaw_son Supporting Member

3. orangejulius3

orangejulius3

You might be able to find a used GK 400RB around 200 dollars.
    It's 200 watts @ 4 ohms and it cranks!
    GK amps normally help out with sticking out in the mix with their mid range EQ.
    You would also need a cab that can take a beating if need be!

4. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

Be a bottom feeder like me, and get more with used gear!

There's a GK 700 RB-II on sale in the classifieds for cheap right now:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/fs-only-gk-700-rb-ii-1033040/

Couple that with a good used 4x10 cab, and you've got enough spare volume to rent out for under $600 total.

*** Edit - I re-read your post and saw you pay a huge penalty for importing into Mexico. If you don't have a good avenue for used gear in-country, then I still recommend a separate head and cab. You'll get more than from a combo. When a hard hitting drummer and loud guitard overwelmed my Rumble combo, I had no room for growth and had to get new gear. Even a 250 Watt amp plus a 2x12 or 410 will kill most combos and put out sound for days, and the modularity allows you to build on it later by adding cabs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Yes, used from the classified section here, if you can get shipping to Mexico.

I suggest a GK MB500 head into just about any used 410.

7. dune2k

dune2k

GK sounds like something you want, simple but effective EQ and cuts through nicely.
    The newer 400RB (-IV) actually have 280W@4 Ohms.

Try to get hold of either a 700RB (pref. MK II) or 400RB (pref. MK IV), couple with a 4x10/2x12 as mentioned and you should be good to go. The cleaner sound you want to have the more power you obviously need.
    Also a 800RB would fit the bill if you can find one inside your budget (300W@4 Ohm), they are voiced a little more vintage, but nothing the EQ can't cure.
    If you tune down (a lot ;)) just stay away from the older 400RBs (MK I/II, the look like the 800RB just smaller), they seem to have a fixed low cut which is nice with a 4 string tuned to E but it really sounds poor with e.g. a 5 string/down tuned bass.

8. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Absolutely go used.

GK 400RB and whatever decent 4X10 you can find. Forget a combo...it's just going to limit you later on.

9. Tbone76

Tbone76

You may want to look at the Hartke lh500 (500 watts at 4ohms) or lh1000 (1000 watts at 4 ohms). The lh500 is $350 new, and around $200-$250 used. Both have a tube preamp, and a simple b/m/t tone control. I just picked up the 500, and it sounds great. I'm now in the market for a 4x10 cab to go with it.

10. coreyw666

coreyw666

I agree on the 400rb even with my acoustic b410 cab that was 8ohm it was plenty loud. I just got a 410 ampeg 4ohm cab and it's screaming on a quarter volume. Find an old 400rb leave the boost on and go for it.

11. shoot-r

shoot-r

Big +1 for the Hartke LH series heads.
    I recently went to a LH1000......wish I'd have paid attention to these much sooner.
    A tube pre infront of clean power at a very reasonable price brand new......if you can find one used, that'd be even better yet!!!

12. DEDX

DEDX

I play similar genres and I can tell you for a fact the Rumble 150 will NOT cut it.

13. Yogen

Yogen

Saw this GK 400rb for around $400, comes with a 2 10", dont know which model the amp is, the pics arent good quality, there's no info on the speakers, I emailed the seller but he hasnt answered yet.

http://tlaquepaque.anumex.com/anuncio/gallien-krueger-400rb-2x10-bajo/7104674.

Seems like a GK would be the way to go, te problem is their hard to find here, both new or used.

Thx for the suggestions.

Ps: anyone had trouble with the ste earlier today? Wouldn't load at all.

14. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

Yeah; I couldn't get in either. I think the site was down.

15. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Get you a Peavey BAM 210 combo. They sell cheap these days. They are VERY loud, and their tonal flexibility is exceptional. Just heavy. It IS a Peavey, after all.