1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

$500! Doubleneck 4-string Bass/ 6-string Guitar!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by TheEmptyCell, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    [​IMG]

That's right folks, $500 shipped CONUS for this one-of-a-kind 'Shmid' doubleneck. I got it on eBay, and the seller stated it was built by a local luthier. There are some construction qualities that I question, like the sloppy bass pickup and control cavity routes, and slightly off-center mounted bridges... but for $500 it's wayyyyy better than any cheap Chinese doubleneck from eBay.

The bass neck pocket is a little wobbly, and the original neck (1.5" nut, kind of strange soft-V back shape) had a very low first fret, so I swapped it out for the Squier Vintage Modified P bass neck. I plugged the necks mounting holes and drilled ones that matched the body.

[​IMG]

I'd estimate it weighs between 13 and 15 lbs, looks like an alder body. The guitar neck is comfortable, and sounds pretty awesome (I was very suprised at the tone the EMG selects deliver).

[​IMG]

Bass side plays excellently now with the new neck on it. The EMG Selects aren't as bad as I expected, but I'd put something else in it if I were gonna keep it.

[​IMG]

It's wired up so that the black knobs are guitar master volume/tone, chrome knobs are bass master volume/tone, the black switches select the respective sides neck/both/bridge pickups, and the cream switch is bass on-guitar off/both on/guitar on-bass off. The neck selector switch is kind of weird, since it has dual-outputs, and both necks cannot be sent to one out. This is also something I would mod if I end up keeping it. I would also plug the bridge mounting holes and center them. The strings lineup perfectly over the neck with the rollers to one side, but that just seems hokey to me.

Both sides feature Schaller Roller bridges, EMG Selects, and the guitar neck has Schaller tuners.

If the potential buyer is interested, I can swap the original bass neck (with low 1st fret and Schaller tuners, 1.5" nut) back onto it.

[​IMG]

Pick this beauty up and show up that greedy lead guitarist! Play El Ten Eleven covers! BE Geddy Lee! I find it to be an amazing songwriting tool, and if you had a nice looping station, you'd be a one-man band!

[​IMG]

I'll lower the price for a local buyer. I do not have a bag or case for it, and because of it's size, I would send it with both necks detached (this is probably also much safer). And yes, the Apple sticker is removable, but makes it sound better, and work better than the competitors copycat product (zing. Sorry!)
  2. TheEmptyCell

Media:
    Albums:
    Two necks! TWO!
  3. TheEmptyCell

Media:
    Albums:
  4. TheEmptyCell

Media:
    Albums:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TheEmptyCell

Media:
    Albums:
  7. TheEmptyCell

Media:
    Albums:
    $480 shipped, or trades for Fender Blacktop P, Modern Player J, or maybe others, just make me an offer!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.