1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

500 watt head into a 300 watt cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by b-bottom, Jun 26, 2013.

1. b-bottom

b-bottom Supporting Member

So I just picked up a 500 watt terror bass because I'm building a more transportable rig (the big rig is 2 115 Orange cabs and an AB200) and now I'm cab searching.

The best buy in my area is blowing out all of their music gear and you can get stupid good deals on the stuff.
    Well they are selling a Hartke 112 neo cab that is rated at 300 watts. The only reasons that I am considering picking it up is because I can get it for a third of what they normally go for and it's really light.
    So my question it this; as long as I don't crank the head, will the speaker hold up?

2. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

The speaker should tell you when it's had enough - use your ears and be wise with the EQ.

Other than that, I don't believe there should be any issue.

3. b-bottom

Also both the head and cab are switchable from 4 to 8 ohms. Would that make a difference?

4. David Grunigen

David Grunigen

Just make sure the ohms are set the same for the head and cab.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. b-bottom

Is their a difference in sound by setting both to 8 or 4 ohms?

7. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

That cab is not very efficient which means you will need more input power to get the sound level out. Not a good plan IMHO when you have more power than the cab can safely handle. YMMV, use CAUTION!

8. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Would probably work best if you look to buy a second cab at some point - FWIW, I use a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 watts, into either 1 or 2 Baer 112 cabs, each is rated at 350 watts. I can use 1 (need to be careful about volume!) or two (no problem - gets crazy loud).

Like others said, let your ears be your guide.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

usually by the loud pop of death :)

10. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

It's a good practice to use an amplifier with a higher output wattage rating than the cabinet or cabinets that you're using. The extra wattage translates into more clean headroom.

11. B-string

And easier to fry voice coils and mechanical damage with bass guitar use. :eek:

12. ThisBass

ThisBass

In my opinion the term headroom implies that it is clean.
    Extra wattage cant' be translated into more clean clean, or more headroom headroom.

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The only way more power can ever "translate into" more headroom is if the speakers can handle all that power. If they can't, then they have capped the headroom. So using lower-rated speakers is totally backwards.

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

If you play loud enough to blow speakers then you will also suffer hearing loss ... I said hearing loss

:bassist:

15. B-string

Exactly. Once you hit the power compression level point of the speaker it does not matter how much "clean power" it is fed, it has given all it can. Which BTW is a point below the "power rating" of the speaker.

16. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

That's why we carefully listen to the speakers. As noted in an earlier post, "The speaker should tell you when it's had enough". ;)

17. b-bottom

I can see where this thread is going so let me ask this question and I'll be good

Will I be alright using that cab as long as I don't crank the amp?

18. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Headroom mixed with paying attention to your speakers is a winning formula. Headroom also provides a cooler-running amplifier and less chance of distortion and DC issues.

19. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Yes.

20. B-string

Yes but you will need to send it more power to get the "volume" level of a more standard efficiency or high efficiency cab.

21. b-bottom

Good enough for me :bassist: