1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

500k pots to make Jazz bass series wiring brighter?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by H3R3T1K, Jan 10, 2014.

1. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

The only wiring that makes sense for me is one with master vol/tone because I don't like jiggling with two vols. Especially with single coils where you're rewarded with hum when dialing in "your" tone (same with blend pot). So that leaves a hole on the control plate which I filled with a dpdt switch to toggle series/parallel. I used 250k pots which are totally fine in parallel mode. Series is darker, bassier and while I like it when playing with a pick and the attack you get, it's a little dull when playing with fingers. So I thought why not put 500k pots in it to brighten it up. I could still get the 250k sound by rolling off on the tone which I always leave on full right now anyways.
    What do you guys think? Also something I never quite understood is what you get when you change just one pot. What's the sonic difference between changing the value of a tone pot as opposed to a volume pot (or the other way round) and leaving the value of the other pot the same?
  2. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

You can easily test what it would sound like with less load by just bypassing the pot for a test.
  3. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

So, both your pickups are always "on" the same amount? You can never solo either pickup?

I've never heard of anybody doing that mod before. I don't think I have ever played one of my Js with both pickups on full, other than just to try it and see what it sounds like.
  4. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

Yes both PUs always on full. Either in parallel mode or in series mode like a humbucker.
  5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

500ks would make sense for that. you'll want linear volume and audio tone.
  6. RobbieK

RobbieK

using an open or "no-load" tone pot will give you just a hint more treble too.
  7. johnson79

johnson79

I have a p/j that I put 500k on. It sounds a hell of a lot better than the stock pots. And I bypassed the tone altogether. I think it sounds great.