1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

500w amp with a 200w head..

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by EstusFlask, Feb 17, 2014.

1. EstusFlask

EstusFlask

Edit: meant 500w cab.
    I'm thinking of getting an Eden D210XST 8ohm...it is rated for 500w, but I only intend to play at home standing 5-10ft from the cab. Am I going to have any issues if I buy a head that can't do 500w (such as the GK MB200). If that won't work, I was looking at the Ampeg PF-500...but that's still 500w and 4ohm, not 8ohm...
  2. InsanityAmps

InsanityAmps

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

You'll under-power it and the thing will go up like a roman candle. Just kidding...

Sounds like great combination. I used a Hartke 1400 (85 watts @ 8 ohms) to power my Acme cab. Perfectly suitable for your stated purpose. Enjoy!

Riis
  4. EstusFlask

EstusFlask

Haha, thanks. Just want to make sure. I know I will be underpowering it if I turned the volume up and would get a bad tone...but is there any 'underpowering' going on if I'm not even cranking the volume past 9'oclock?
  5. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

Nope
  6. mcnach

mcnach

Underpowering...
    Delete that idea from your mind, please, and kick in the nuts anyone who talks to you about it.
    What kills speakers is too much power. Nothing wrong with not supplying a lot of power to a cab.
    Now enjoy your amp and cab. :p
  7. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    If anything, you can push the amp a bit harder than you could with a "matching powered" cab before fartout. I'm not saying you still don't have to respect the speaker's limits, but I'd bet it has better excursion than many cabs rated for 200 watts.
  8. Scoops

Scoops Vagabond at large Supporting Member

A slight bit of caution needs to be taken if the cab has a tweeter in it. If you crank the amp to the point of clipping, the tweeter could blow
  9. vickde

vickde Supporting Member

The only way you're going to get a "bad tone" is if you need more volume than your 200w amp can provide and you crank the amp until it starts breaking up. For your intended purpose, I wouldn't worry about it. I use a GK MB200 with a variety of cabs as a backup/light load-in amp. It's a loud 200 watts.
  10. Major Softie

Major Softie

It has a volume control. You'll be fine.
  11. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

The GK MB200 amp is a little monster.
    So far I have not needed to put the gain knob past 1 o'clock.
    I notice with bigger cabs my gain knob needs to be adjusted down.

I have both the GK MB200 and Ampeg PF500.
    I prefer the GK most times, lighter and just as powerful.
    I take the Ampeg for a different flavor tones for different bands.
  12. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

The 500w rating of the cab is it's limit, not what it needs. Now, you might run into issues with an 8w amp dues to efficiency. But in general, it's a good idea to have the speaker cab rated for higher wattage than the amp driving it.