500W into a 300W cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jonas_24112, Jan 31, 2013.

1. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

I normally run my MarkBass 1x12 combo on stage as a monitor and direct out to the PA in my band. That's 300W to one 12" sub with tweeter.

I've been getting more sub gigs lately and have been thinking about getting an extension cab for bands not running subs. Well, I just got booked to sub Friday night and they have no subs.

The local GC has a used Genz Benz GB18B cab at a decent price that I can go look at during lunch. It's a single 18 in ported enclosure. 8 ohm speaker, 300W RMS.

If i run an extension from my MB, it'll be pushing 500W. I'm a believer in running higher wattage to subs than their rated RMS and leaving the levels on the amp down. I rarely run my MB past 3-4 on the volume and never run over 5.

What do you guys think? Can it take it?

And of course, i'll play through it first before purchasing.
  2. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    First off, the power will be split between the 12' driver in the combo and the 18" extension cab.

Secondly, how do you know you'll be pushing 500 watts? The amp might be capable of 500 clean watts, but how much it puts out is determined by hard hard YOU push it.
  3. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    Of course it´ll take it. The only think that if you push it more than 300W you can suffer from a speaker damage.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

The "RMS" rating of the GB18B is quite conservative by today's more marketing oriented standards (that run my engineering personality the wrong way) so I wouldn't expect any issues with this cabinet. It will split the power equally with your other cabinet.

A couple of cautions however... verify that the cabinet and driver have not been damaged by the previous owner, and that it has the original 8 ohm driver (should be GBE-18300-8 ohm). Also, it's possible that the overall acoustic response of the combined cabinets could be uneven at points because there is sure to be a difference in tuning profiles. This is a case where the cabinets were not designed to work together and the resultsay not be ideal. Try them together and see.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jonas_24112

jonas_24112

Thank you agedhorse. Great GB customer service there!!

I'll be sure to try it with my combo. Definitely will not take it home without a 30 day return guarantee.
  7. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Good luck with your project.