1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

50hz and 120hz knobs in equalizer pedal (BEQ700)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Alexdeth89, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

I'm a big fan of active basses and since there is no room in my passive PJ for active electronics I decided to purchase a Behringer bass pedal. It's a 7 band equalizer but I only use 2 frequencies to simulate the sound of a 2 band active onboard preamp (bass and treble).
    The specific frequencies I use are 120hz for bass and 4.5khz for treble, I am so pleased with the results it sounds awesome, it sounds exactly the same as the active basses I have played in stores and other places.

The only thing I find strange is the fact that the overall tone sounds better with the 120hz rather than 50hz and I find it strange because most preamps like emg, aguilar etc. have values for bass between 30 and 40hz so I thought I was going to use the 50hz but it sounds a bit "tamed" and punchier.

With the 120hz the lows are deeper and growlier, it's just a much better tone.
    I have tried the pedal with more basses and the result is the same so my bass is not the issue.
    I don't know if maybe the values are reversed or maybe the 50hz knob is deffective.
    what do you guys think?

2. Massimo636

Massimo636

I would much prefer to adjust the 120hz region over 50hz any day. In my EQing I tend to boost 125hz and reduce 50hz a bit. Cabs have an easier time producing those frequencies and that's where the punch is IMO.

3. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

Paraphrasing:

Your bass will play 40hz, but its the harmonics and overtones that make it sound the way it does. The open e string isaround 40hz, but you're "listening"at 120hZ