1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

50hz and 120hz knobs in equalizer pedal (BEQ700)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Alexdeth89, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

May 7, 2012
    Hermosillo
    I'm a big fan of active basses and since there is no room in my passive PJ for active electronics I decided to purchase a Behringer bass pedal. It's a 7 band equalizer but I only use 2 frequencies to simulate the sound of a 2 band active onboard preamp (bass and treble).
    The specific frequencies I use are 120hz for bass and 4.5khz for treble, I am so pleased with the results it sounds awesome, it sounds exactly the same as the active basses I have played in stores and other places.

The only thing I find strange is the fact that the overall tone sounds better with the 120hz rather than 50hz and I find it strange because most preamps like emg, aguilar etc. have values for bass between 30 and 40hz so I thought I was going to use the 50hz but it sounds a bit "tamed" and punchier.

With the 120hz the lows are deeper and growlier, it's just a much better tone.
    I have tried the pedal with more basses and the result is the same so my bass is not the issue.
    I don't know if maybe the values are reversed or maybe the 50hz knob is deffective.
    what do you guys think?

2. Massimo636

Massimo636

Aug 3, 2011
    I would much prefer to adjust the 120hz region over 50hz any day. In my EQing I tend to boost 125hz and reduce 50hz a bit. Cabs have an easier time producing those frequencies and that's where the punch is IMO.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    Disclosures:
    Dropping Acid Pedal Etching
    Paraphrasing:

Your bass will play 40hz, but its the harmonics and overtones that make it sound the way it does. The open e string isaround 40hz, but you're "listening"at 120hZ