1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

50hz and 120hz knobs in equalizer

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Alexdeth89, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

I'm a big fan of active basses and since there is no room in my passive PJ for active electronics I decided to purchase a Behringer bass pedal. It's a 7 band equalizer but I only use 2 frequencies to simulate the sound of a 2 band active onboard preamp (bass and treble).
    The specific frequencies I use are 120hz for bass and 4.5khz for treble, I am so pleased with the results it sounds awesome, it sounds exactly the same as the active basses I have played in stores and other places.

The only thing I find strange is the fact that the overall tone sounds better with the 120hz rather than 50hz and I find it strange because most preamps like emg, aguilar etc. have values for bass between 30 and 40hz so I thought I was going to use the 50hz but it sounds a bit "tamed" and punchier.

With the 120hz the lows are deeper and growlier, it's just a much better tone.
    I have tried the pedal with more basses and the result is the same so my bass is not the issue.
    I don't know if maybe the values are reversed or maybe the 50hz knob is deffective.
    what do you guys think?
  2. line6man

line6man

50Hz is only the center of the frequency band. Not all equalizers are the same.
  3. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

I assume that you are talking about the BEQ700...
    keep in mind that most onboard preamps use shelving or baxandall type filters. the behringer is most likely a peak or bell type. will sound quite different.
  4. NKBassman

NKBassman Supporting Member

I don't know why you limit yourself to using only 2 bands. That's like buying a fancy car and never taking it out of first gear.

Mess around a bit with the other frequency sliders! You might find an even better sound with a little tinkering.
  5. line6man

line6man

They would use peaking bands for the first and last bands? That's rather absurd.

In any case, there are different types of shelving bands. Just because the frequency center is the same, it does not mean that all surrounding frequencies will be affected in the same manner.
  6. line6man

line6man

Yes and no. There are technical arguments for things like reduced headroom, increased noisefloor or phase shifts, caused by the over-use of equalization. In general, it is best to use as little equalization as possible. Any soundguy would tell you this, but on instruments, people like to use equalizers for tonal effect moreso than correcting problem frequencies. The same rule of thumb applies, however. Use as little as possible to do what you want.
  7. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

ok. whatever. I said things like "assume" and "most likely". never did I claim for certain what type of filter was used.
    Why would peaking filter for first and last band be absurd. I actually prefer peaking for low frequencies. allows for boosting 50/60Hz without adding a bunch of mud. sounds cleaner and clearer.

I am well aware of the many types of filters and equally aware of the many different ways to characterize and describe the frequency response.
  8. line6man

line6man

The first part of my response was a question, and the second part was meant for the OP.

It seems odd to me that an equalizer would not provide high and low shelves.
  9. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

A seven band EQ should have narrower filters than the two or three band EQs on an active bass. You should not expect the two to behave the same. If you are happy with the results you are getting then there is no need to worry but I have to agree that with seven bands to play with you should play with all of them because the extra flexibility could be quite useful.

Ken
  10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    50hz is lower than you might think. Since these are not as wide as a two band EQ, the 50Hz band is not also lifting the bands above it. To simulate a 2 band EQ you would move a few of the low frequency sliders to form a curve.

I like around 75Hz to 100Hz for bass controls.
  11. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

Really? That's interesting, I only have 50hz, 120hz and the next slider is 400hz
  12. iiipopes

iiipopes

50Hz is the fundamental pitch of roughly G 3rd fret E string. Of course, that means only the fundamentals on the lowest notes are affected.

120Hz, on the other hand, carries the octave harmonics of the lowest notes and the fundamental of the middle notes. So the ear hears more difference. Almost all "traditional" bass tone controls, like on stereos (With all the personal electronic devices out there, there are still stereo home units being used, aren't there?) are "hinged" at @ 200 Hz, which means the frequencies between @ 100 & 150 Hz are what are affected most, just like SGD Lutherie posted.
  13. line6man

line6man

Depending on where you are in the world, I would be careful with 50Hz as a frequency center. 50Hz is the fundamental frequency of power in some parts of the world, and thus, attempts to boost that frequency will bring out 50Hz hum.
  14. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

So, should I do the same with the treble (4.5khz) to simulta the 2 band preamp? I mean boosting the next freq which is 800hz
  15. NKBassman

NKBassman Supporting Member

Do whatever sounds good to you.