50K or 100k Stacked Treble/Bass what difference will it make in tone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CrashClint, Nov 30, 2013.

1. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

I have two BEQP-1 preamps and I noticed my older one uses an Aguilar 50K stacked bass/treble pot and the newer one uses a 100k stacked bass/treble pot.

Since these are in different basses with different pickups I can't really do an A/B on the difference in tone it makes so can one of TB's Electronic Gurus tell what effect on the tone the two different valued pots will have?

2. line6man

line6man

It's not a good idea to mess with preamp pot values, the way you can choose volume and tone pot values to taste. You will modify the taper of the equalization.

3. CrashClint

The are the exact same preamp except for the stacked pot. The one with the 50K was the original that came in Roscoe basses. I purchased one directly from Demeter and it came with the 100K pot so I was wondering if it has an effect on tone. Does the 50K pot limit the amount of bass and highs, does the 100K just give you more adjustment but in the long run do both give you the exact same tone?

4. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Open, the two pots will do the same thing.
    Turn them all the way down, and you're cutting twice as much with the 100k. Other than that they're just variable resistors and won't change your sound.

If you need that kind of adjustability, your pre won't suffer from it. It's not really necessary however.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

The tone is not likely to change. Just the behavior of the eq bands. When you change values, it alters the taper of the portion of the rotation that is covered in the sweep of both pot values.

7. CrashClint

Thanks, that makes perfect sense.