1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

50w-100w Valve Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by faceinbass, Jan 23, 2011.

1. faceinbass

faceinbass

Howdy!

Do you own a lower watt, all valve bass amp?

If so I want to hear about it!

Depending on the situation, I use one two Sovtek 50w "Rhythm 'N Blues Bass Amplifier" Bassov Midgets or the AIMS Personalized Producer which claims to be a 120w amp but really only hits about 60w. Each of the 3 has its own thing going on, and I enjoy playing with the differences. I prefer 1x15, 2x15 and 1x18 cabs for these amps. Tube amps and large speakers sound so good to me. I have a USA Univox 50W bass amp on the way and will report back if this thread goes anywhere..

Pics wanted?!

[​IMG]

Now it's YOUr tURN!(?)

and

2. kosmicwizard

kosmicwizard

Ashdown looks so good! I haven't even got a SVT yet and I want a V4B ... All the best. Cheers.
  3. karter2000

karter2000 Supporting Member

My pride and joy:

Attached Files:

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

5. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

I've also got a V4B, mine's a 1974 I think. It's my first all-tube amp, first vintage gear (I've never had any gear older than me!) and my first Ampeg anything. And it ROCKS. I was instantly floored by the fantastic warm tone and harmonics are incredible with it. Wish it wasn't quite such a beast (61lbs.), but the sounds definitely makes up for it!

5sg.

[​IMG]
  6. DosiYanarchy

DosiYanarchy

I've just bought a 100w Simms-Watts PA head

This one:
    http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=117218&hl=simms

just waiting for Tayste to deliver it and it'll be my first all-tube amp that i can use on bass (I've got a 5w Fender Vibrochamp XD for guitar)

I was about to pull the trigger on a 30w Ashdown Little Bastard, but this cost less and has got a good 70w more.

I'll love to see how it compares to my Orange Terror Bass.
  7. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

What kind of Univox did you get?

1235?

1236?

1246?
  8. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth

How 'bout a 30 watter?

[​IMG]
  9. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

50-100 watts? Shoot my SVT is too many and my B-15 is too few. ;)
  10. faceinbass

faceinbass

LOVE THE RESPONSES Guys!

Karter/5string.. I used to have that same Ampeg.
    I am a moron for selling it but I bought it years before I knew much about tube amps.
    Thinking back, it probably needed an overhaul and the right cab to make it shine.
    If I only knew that then...

Kramer.. The seller says its a MIA U-50. I had never heard of hit before and thought Univox was a Japanese thing. Any thoughts. I will know more when I see it in person.
  11. faceinbass

faceinbass

Yeah, there are LOTS of threads dedicated to talking about those amps. This thread is for the weirdos. Sooooo GET OUT! ;)
  12. faceinbass

faceinbass

Ok, you can show that off here. I better not find any finger prints on it though. :scowl:
  13. faceinbass

faceinbass

I have seen pics of those online before! Very unique looking and I am willing to bet, sound just fine for bass! I love that we bass players can use old PA heads for bass amps with little to no mods needed.

Report back when you get it!!!! :hyper:
  14. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I can't seem to find any pictures of it so a live shot will have to do. For a while this was my rehearsal head. I think this was the only time I ever gigged it...

[​IMG]

78 Fender Bassman 70 on top of a late 70s ampeg B40 cab.
  15. s_mcsleazy

s_mcsleazy

neat thread.

me thinks me shall go take a pic of mine

p.s does 5 watts count
  16. faceinbass

faceinbass

50w-100w is the goal but any low watt, all tube/valve amp is welcome, why not? :D
  17. s_mcsleazy

s_mcsleazy

18. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Now you also have half an acre of plexiglass and a Hi Fi ultra linear op stage with a lovely big Drake 5 wire primary transformer which is noticeably louder cleaner than a marshall superbass 100 with the same op transformer but without the 43% UL taps.
    The only other question is how would it actually sound bias'd and fitted with KT 88's.
    I have an old Simms Watts Ap200 and a 100 my self and love them both to Bits the 100 is a better size for my motherload power soak in studio.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    By the time the old AP200 Super is sounding just like the bass line from "burlesque" by family via an eden 8 X 10 LXT its far too loud.:bassist::hyper::D
  19. flyingfinbar

flyingfinbar

A little off topic, but what are your thoughts on this head? I'm selling off some gear locally, and am looking to pick up a Little Bastard, mostly for at home practice, recording and jams with guitar playing friends. I love the high volume tube saturation of my SVT IIpro, but my house would fall apart if I cranked that amp enough to get the desired effect:eek:

Cool thread! I love these mid-wattage throwbacks.
  20. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Use to use a V4B for 15 years awhile back
    now using this 1968 Traynor YBA 1 rated at 45-55 watts..

pic:

Attached Files: