1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

51 P pickup recommendation?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gecko 5, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

I'm considering a 51 P build (Warmoth).
    Can anyone recommend a good 51 style pickup?
    I know these are normally single coil. Does anyone make a humbucker?
    Thanks
  2. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

I've now read, Fralin split coils are good
  3. vin*tone

vin*tone Supporting Member

^^ Indeed. :smug:

Thats a Fralin straight into my ipad through an Apogee Jam. No EQ or effects.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  4. Mike Yocum

Mike Yocum

5. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

I just put a Fender '51 RI SCPB pickup in my CV 50's Squier p Bass that I'm very happy with... thick full round bottom with rounds and even bigger with GHS P Flats...

edit: tried a rail humbucker out of curiosity, sounded great but was far too modern and lost all the edge and clank of the SCPB pup
  6. 1bassleft

1bassleft

Is that the Japan pup? I have one unused, lined up for a build. You likey? and an improvement over the Squier CV pup?
  7. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

It came from the U.S. as a stock fender '51 RI part #003 5328 000 but I think you are correct that it is Japanese, could not confirm when I ordered it... it has the slightly raised pole pieces for the A and D which is ideal for the fingerboard radius of the RI bass and no problem on the Squier... I do prefer it, to me it has the edge on the Squier pup tonally but it's so close that setup could be influencing my A-B tests, it does hoever have ever so slightly wider pole pieces (1mm or less) which may explain it. I didn't do long comparison tests to be honest, it was more like, oh I think that's thicker... and I can't put the bass down long enough to re-test... I was going to record both after measuring distances etc.. I just figured I really liked it with the RI pup so I left it in...
  8. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Rio Grande Muy Grande.
  9. Lo-E

Lo-E

+1. I like that p'up, too.
  10. 1bassleft

1bassleft

Good to know, Lo-E, and thanks to Pimm for your reply. I'm getting geared up for this build now ('51 RI and the Squier Telebucker). One thing I would dearly like to know - apols if this is hijacking - how does the 3-way switch on the SC Squier Telecaster Bass do its magic? I'd love to have that electronics installed as well.
  11. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Pleasure... good luck with the build, sorry I can't help with the switch info.
  12. stevenkidman045

stevenkidman045

their is not only one instrument so many are their like dual coils- hum bucking 4/5/6 string bass pickups, fat stacks- stacked humbucking 4/5/6 string bass pickups, big singles- single coil 4/5/6 string bass pickups, big splits- split coil 4/5/6 string bass pickups, 3b preamp, nj4-single coil 4 string jazz-type bass pickups. choose any one of the these.