51 P Project

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bryan gibson, Jan 3, 2013.

1. bryan gibson

bryan gibson

Apologies in advance if this topic has been covered, but I couldn't seem to find it in a search. So....

Basically I picked up a Turdster 51 P-clone a year or so back, on closeout (cheap!!) mainly because it has a super-nice flamed maple neck. I'd initially planned on sticking the neck on a standard P-type body I have, but duh-different neck heel shape. Long story short, I've owned several standard P's over the years, all with the usual split-coil pickup. This is my first shot at the old Tele-style single and I can't seem to get a decent tone out of the E-string. G, D, and A all sound pretty similar to a regular P, but the E sounds like mud no matter what-very loud out-of-balance mud as well. I've tried different strings (round Boomers, Tone 2/3 off works best so far), Pup height adjustment, full setup, etc, and it still sounds like crap on the E string.

Long story short, will this design ever sound similar to a standard P-type or is the sound limited by the design/position of the Pup? It obviously has cheap OEM electronics, so I'm assuming a Pup swap would help to some extent. So, playing outlaw country/southern rock/ etc, which Pup? Nice single replacement? Twin-blade? I don't mind putting a few bucks in this one because the neck is amazing, and it definitely looks proper for this current band. I'm also guessing that swapping to flats or tapes would help as well. Sorry for the rambling, been a long week:help:
  2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Try a better pickup. Those single coil Ps usually sound very nice.

You can even get split coil versions that look like a regular single coil.
  3. kai_ski

kai_ski Supporting Member

One word: Fralin.
  4. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

three worrds FRALIN SPLIT COIL
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bryan gibson

bryan gibson

Reviving my own zombie thread, 'cause I've put the project on hold for a few months. Anyhoo......Fralin Split Coil is $150, and this (backup) bass was $90 total, brand new.

So.... in the slightly less $$ range, what's the general consensus on the Seymour single coils? Or on a totally different level, will a GFS twin-blade Tele HB work? I'm not necessarily looking for a totally authentic 51 tone, just something with a little better clarity and string-to-string balance.
  7. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

IMO, the Turser single coil P pickup sounds better than the Fender/Squier RI, and I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Have you done the witness point ritual on the E string? Press down on it real hard just in front of the saddle. That might clear it up.
  8. kai_ski

kai_ski Supporting Member

Just bide your time and keep an eye on the classifieds for a Fralin split coil. They just sound so good. If you don't dig it, you can probably flip it for whatever you pay.

Keep the original pickup in case you ever hock the bass, but if it plays good and sounds good then you'll probably just keep it.